DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Camera Stabilizer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/44591-camera-stabilizer.html)

Gabor Lacza May 14th, 2005 08:40 PM

Camera Stabilizer

I know it was disussed many times but even after so much searching and reading I cannot make up my mind for which is the best stabilizer for the Z1.
My type is shooting will include a lot of walking around (nature,museums etc) where I have a talent on screen to record while walking....I just would like to have something to support the camera for longer shots plus have nice steady movements while walking....!
Thanks
Gabor

Gabor Lacza June 21st, 2005 07:16 AM

Anyone has any input on this one for me pls??
Gabor

Duncan Craig June 21st, 2005 02:21 PM

How much money are you talking about spending here?

You should look at a Steadicam Flyer if you can afford it.

I have a DVrig Pro, which I love to bits, but it more about support than stabilisation.

Matt Ockenfels June 21st, 2005 07:02 PM

... or the Glidecam Smooth Shooter or V-8.

Cheers,

-Matt

Gabor Lacza June 21st, 2005 08:06 PM

Thanks guys....Glidecam Smoother is great but I would like weird in a museum like that...I am really thinking about dvrig pro.? Is it good for smooth handheld shoots and walking shoots ????

Bill Pryor June 21st, 2005 08:18 PM

That appears to be sort of a handheld tripod replacement. It wouldn't do much for any moving shots. I think you'd be better off with just a simple shoulder mount if you don't want to use a tripod, then for walking shots, use the optical stabilization in the camera, hold it by the handle lightly, and walk in sort of a flat footed shuffle to minimize the up and down bumps. You want steadycam type movement, you need a steadycam type device.
You might check the Marzpak. It looks weird, and it's not a steadycam, but it can smooth you walking shots a little bit with some practice, and it steadies the camera very nicely for hand held shots.

Mike Moncrief June 21st, 2005 09:35 PM

I do not think you are going to find any "steadycam" type device that is stealthy and not noticeable to people in public.. One nice stabilizer is the Flow Pod by VariZoom..

Mike M.

Richard Lubash June 22nd, 2005 09:58 AM

I just shot a commercial last week and it was the first time we had used our new Z1 in production as opposed to our larger shoulder mounted cameras. I had a shot where I had to walk backwards in front of an actor walking around a restaurant. I used the new Fig Rig and was very pleased with the results. As to taking it to a museum it kind of looks like a steering wheel with a camera in the middle and though any rig will draw attention it's on the minimum side. I also used it in a shoot this weekend by holding it over my head and then dropping down using my arms and knees and got a pretty decent jib simulation.

Richard
2K-Plus
Atlanta

Gabor Lacza June 23rd, 2005 08:18 AM

So Flow Pod sounds like a good idea ?? How about Glidecam 4000 ???