My FX1 stopped working. :( - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 14th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #16
Major Player

Well my camera is scheduled to be returned today!

I could hardly sleep last night. Sony was pretty good, they took about 10 working days to make the repair and it came in $60 less than they originally quoted me.

Can't wait to plug this baby into FCP5!!!
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Mine is still in the shop

Hi all;
Mine is still in the shop for the same reason after 5 weeks. I went through Mack though. They say it could be another week. Darn third party warranty.

Gary
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Smith
Hi all;
Mine is still in the shop for the same reason after 5 weeks. I went through Mack though. They say it could be another week. Darn third party warranty.

Gary
I guess that's the trade off. If it makes you feel any better I paid about twice for this one repair that you paid for your entire warrenty.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Any idea what is causing this?
I never had any of my other sony camera's just stop like that. I hope this is not a recall issue.
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #20
Wrangler

I've never had problems like this with my Sony's, but have read about something similar with (IIRC) the GL-2 where an internal fuse could blow.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Possible cause???

I think that it might have been a power surge when the camera is plugged into house power. I bought a remote charger and will never power the camera or charge the battery or use generic batteries again. Learned my lesson the hard way.
Old June 15th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
I think that it might have been a power surge when the camera is plugged into house power. I bought a remote charger and will never power the camera or charge the battery or use generic batteries again. Learned my lesson the hard way.
Generic batteries, as long as the voltage is OK, can't cause any damage. If in doubt about the voltage, do check it before putting it in. No mystery about that.

Using an external charger is certainly a must, and I can't understand how that did not develop into a general demand for one as standard AC supply when Sony stopped offering it.

But not using the AC supply when you can because of a power surge danger is not such a practical policy.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

FYI, generic, name brand batteries or AC adaptors, do NOT have the camera turned on when putting on fresh batteries. Leave it off, or you can potentially blow out the camera.

heath
Old June 15th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
FYI, generic, name brand batteries or AC adaptors, do NOT have the camera turned on when putting on fresh batteries. Leave it off, or you can potentially blow out the camera.

heath
Good advice for anything that has any type of electrons (AC or DC) flowing through it!

Jay
Jay Handleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Finally got my FX-1 back from Mack

Hi everyone; Just a note to let you know that it took two months to the day to have my FX-1 serviced through Mack warranty service for the "dead camera syndrome". Had I known this, I would have gone without the warranty and paid the $200.00 to Sony to have it back in two weeks. Good old 20-20 hind sight. Gary
Old July 15th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #26
Regular Crew

At least its nestling in your loving arms again

I' like to bet here that they replaced the VCR/Camera switch?

Cheers
Old July 15th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #27
Wrangler

2 months is pretty unacceptable. That would make me think twice about buying a Mack warranty (I never have anyway).

These stories have spooked me about my Z-1 though. I've resolved to always run on battery power - which I generally do with my other camcorders anyway. It's a good way to bring the batteries to full discharge, which I also think isn't such a bad idea. So my Z-1 has never tasted anything but battery juice thus far in its life, and with two NPF-970's and one 960 it should never have to :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #28
Regular Crew

No info about repair

Unfortunately there was no info about details of the repair from Mack or Sony. Just curious; what makes you think that the VCR/video switch was at fault. Do other Sony cams have the same problem. This is my first Sony. My beef is how blasted long the repair took.
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Unfortunately there was no info about details of the repair from Mack or Sony. Just curious; what makes you think that the VCR/video switch was at fault. Do other Sony cams have the same problem. This is my first Sony. My beef is how blasted long the repair took.
This is exactly what happened to my camera. I must have kicked up too much steam because they gave me a new camera - I must also admit the camera was only 6 days old! The feedback I got was after I insisted on a full report from Sony regarding the failure.

As for the time it took to repair yours - UNACCEPTABLE. Many of us rely on these camera for our livelihood and I will not stand for shoddy service levels - we are far too forgiving of bad service these days - hence my signature

Cheers
Old July 15th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #30
MPS Digital Studios

I have a Mack Warranty, two since 1999, and always just sent cameras to the dealer. With my XL-1, I had it back within 5 days, per the XL-1 Club. Mack says an "authorized dealer," so Canon and JVC are...

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1