DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Motor Noise Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/45710-motor-noise-question.html)

Eric Wotila June 4th, 2005 07:57 PM

Motor Noise Question

Hey,

My FX1 came in yesterday, and so far I've found it to be just about perfect. I love the camera overall, but I had a question regarding motor noise. The motor is normally very quiet when recording, but twice now (once during playback and once during recording) the noise level from the motor increased--as in, it got loud enough to pick up on our boom-mounted shotgun mike 5 feet away (which is a directional mike pointed away from the camera). Has anyone else experienced a similar "motor noise level increase" or is there a problem with my camera?

Also, on a side note, I'm having some trouble with Lumiere HD (check my thread over in HDV Editing/Lumiere), if anyone cam help me out.

George Griswold June 5th, 2005 05:31 AM

This does not sound good to me. I have a Z1 and the only time you can hear a motor is when you load a tape. Otherwise it is silent. If you can hear it 5 feet away that isn't OK.

Sony has a short warranty. If you just got it I would swap it out with your retailer NOW. Just call them and negiotate an exchange. Mechanical problems rarely improve over time.

Eric Wotila June 5th, 2005 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Griswold
This does not sound good to me. I have a Z1 and the only time you can hear a motor is when you load a tape. Otherwise it is silent. If you can hear it 5 feet away that isn't OK.

Sony has a short warranty. If you just got it I would swap it out with your retailer NOW. Just call them and negiotate an exchange. Mechanical problems rarely improve over time.

Thanks. I'll call Sony up.

Jeff Sayre June 5th, 2005 07:05 AM

That is an odd observance. I agree with George. It does not sound good.

Sony had LCD monitor noise issues with some of their production runs of their Sony PD150 and PD170 line. Visit the links below to learn about that.

I would like to know if this problem continues with thier new HDV line. I am planning on buying the HDV-Z1U next week.

For a little more background on the noise issue, visit theses sites:

http://www.global-dvc.org/html/PD170.asp

Please be aware that the article at this link does not correctly discuss the serial number issue as it talks about PAL units only. http://www.abcdv.com/article/articleview/237/1/80

Eric Wotila June 5th, 2005 07:18 AM

I called Sony, and they told me to send it in--WITH A TWO WEEK TURNAROUND TIME!?!?

I'm scheduled to start shooting my next feature next weekend--does anyone have any experience with Sony's repair center? Do they actually take 2 weeks?

Sorry, I'm a bit P.O.ed right now, my camera is three days old and I have to go without a camera for two weeks to get it repaired!

Mike Farrington June 5th, 2005 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Wotila
Sorry, I'm a bit P.O.ed right now, my camera is three days old and I have to go without a camera for two weeks to get it repaired!

Since it's only three days old, you may be within the typical 3-7 day return policy of the retailler you bought it from. You may want to just do a strait return and buy a new one. Read the policies of the place you purchased it from. It there is a restocking fee, you should be able to avoid it since you are returning defective merchandise. Especially if you buy the replacement camera from them/

-Mike

George Griswold June 5th, 2005 07:45 AM

Eric,
Before you call Sony (run-around) I would contact the retailer and go for a quick swap. If you go through Sony they will ask you to send it to them and then wait... yada-yada-yada.

Eric Wotila June 5th, 2005 08:36 AM

Quote:

Eric,
Before you call Sony (run-around) I would contact the retailer and go for a quick swap. If you go through Sony they will ask you to send it to them and then wait... yada-yada-yada.

GMTA! I came up with that idea when I was out to breakfast. I'm calling B&H now, I'll tell you how it goes. Wish me luck!

Boyd Ostroff June 5th, 2005 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre
Sony had LCD monitor noise issues with some of their production runs of their Sony PD150 and PD170 line.

Those issues were thoroughly discussed here in the past. Why would you think they have any relation to the FX1/Z1, which are completely different designs?...

Eric Wotila June 5th, 2005 09:05 AM

Well, I talked to B&H. They told me to send back the camera and as soon as they receive it they'll send out a new one. Problem solved! I may have to delay the shoot I had scheduled for this weekend by a couple days, but better than sending it to Sony!

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

George Griswold June 5th, 2005 09:19 AM

Good work Eric, I have had a great relationship with B&H. That was the way to go.

George

George Griswold June 5th, 2005 09:21 AM

Eric,
What is GMTA?

Mike Farrington June 5th, 2005 10:21 AM

Quote:

What is GMTA?

It took me a minute to decypher that as well. I came up with "Great Minds Think Alike".

-Mike

Jeff Sayre June 5th, 2005 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Those issues were thoroughly discussed here in the past. Why would you think they have any relation to the FX1/Z1, which are completely different designs?...

I didn't think they were necessarily related, but thought it would not hurt to raise the issue. I was just throwing it out there since Eric was looking for possibilities.

That is also why I stated "I would like to know if this problem continues with thier new HDV line. I am planning on buying the HDV-Z1U next week."

Boyd, I'm sorry if this issue has been covered extensively elsewhere in the past. I'm trying to catch up with old posts as I get my feet wet in the etiquette of this community. I just found out about this old issue two days ago myself.

Andrew J Hall June 5th, 2005 06:57 PM

I have experienced exactly the same problem with my Z1P - generally quiet enough but a couple of times it got really noisy - I thought it was a blowfly in the room or a faulty neon light at first. Next time I fired it up same thing. Time after - back to normal.

Andrew