DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   DVM-63HD vs. PHDVM-63DM vs. MiniDV tape (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/45986-dvm-63hd-vs-phdvm-63dm-vs-minidv-tape.html)

Darren Kelly June 9th, 2005 04:06 PM

DVM-63HD vs. PHDVM-63DM vs. MiniDV tape

Has anyone tried these two specialy tapes, and do they really live up to the additional price or are they just marketing hype.

In reviewing some of my footage, I have noticed the odd drop out, and I have had some tearing in fast pan, etc stuff. This ofcourse is using the cheap tape.

Can anyone really see the difference, or send me to a web site where I can see some tests or ???

Thanks

DBK

Sean M Lee June 9th, 2005 10:44 PM

I use them...I feel that the difference in price is inconsequential...especially if you're used to Beta, DigiBeta or HDCam tape prices.

from sony's website about the digital master tape:
Professional Media Optimized for HDV Applications

Designed in conjunction with the new camcorder and VTR is Sony's recommended professional media for HDV applications, DigitalMaster™ videotape. These 63-minute cassettes use Sony's AME II Technology and its unique dual-active magnetic layers. By improving on an already successful product, the new AME II manufacturing process employs Hyper Evaticle IV magnetic grains, improved lubricants, and a refined Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC) layer. DigitalMaster exhibits greater packing density of magnetic grains, higher retentivity, higher output and lower noise. The result is a more robust tape with fewer dropouts and errors.

James Gurden June 10th, 2005 06:15 AM

Well, anecdotally, I've now shot about 200 hours using the Digital Masters (at £9/$16 ish a pop), and even then have suffered some dropout. I've had four instances in that time, (though that's shooting in a massive variety of locations - heat, cold, dirty, etc. And of course regularly cleaning the heads... ) Fortunately no were on shots that made it to final cut.

But given that HDV dropout is inherantly up to 1/2 a sec which is ruinous to a shot, I have to say I really wouldn't consider using cheaper tapes. As Darren mentioned, the cost is OK when looked at compared to DIGI, and would I risk having more dropout than I've already had? No.

That said, this is anecdotal, and I've not seen any comparison tests on Digital Master vs others...

James Gurden June 10th, 2005 06:22 AM

I of course was quoting Sean, not Darren...
oops.

Darren Kelly June 10th, 2005 09:29 AM

Well. I think I'm convinced.

When I started out, I had an EWW300 High 8 camera, and when SOny released to Diamond coated tape, even though it was about 2X the cost of regular Pro Hi8, I bought it, and got few if any dropouts.

Some how with the advent of mini dv, I took the cheap route.

Thanks for helping me see the light

DBK