Cinematone = DCC ???? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 17th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cinematone = DCC ????

If I am not mistaken, Cinematone is almost the same as what Sony calls DCC, DCC+, Dynamic Latitude in their more expensive cameras. Does anybody know for sure this? I would think that Cinematone 1 = DCC+ while Cinematone 2 = DL .

If this is true, Cinematone (either 1 or 2) should be ON most of the time, except perhaps in night time scenes or scenes with very flat frequency response curve. And to compensate for the blacks, Black Stretch should also be ON most of the time and particularly when Cinematone is ON or when shooting in dark or low light surroundings.

Last edited by Augusto Manuel; June 18th, 2005 at 12:51 AM.
Augusto Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quoting Steve Mullen on another thread:
"However, if you turn on CineTone you will kill shadow detail -- never use it.

"On the Z1 use Black Stretch to give you more shadow detail."
Old June 19th, 2005, 01:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Cinematone is to be used in combination with Black stretch to avoid getting rid of shadow detail. One should never say never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Waters

Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I shot with Z1 in DVcam mode just recently. I used Cinematone 1 and Black Stretch on, with good results. The trick is to set the pedestal in the camera at 7.5 IRE instead of 0 . This way you still see a good amount of detail in dark areas when you use Cinematone 1. Otherwise, I agree you can kill the shadow detail specially if you use Cinematone 2 and Pedestal at 0. The worst combination is:
Cinematone 2 ON, Black Stretch OFF, Pedestal 0 . Unless you are going for some sort of effect, refrain to set your camera that way.

If you are shooting in low light, switch off Cinematone and switch on Black Stretch. If shooting in DVcam mode in low light, set pedestal at 7.5 IRE. If shooting in HDV in low light, in addition to all of the above, set your camera at ss 1/30. As someone said before, the loss in resolution when shooting at 1/30 ss is much less in HDV mode than when you shoot in DVcam mode. Even if you downconvert, the resolution loss is minimized when you shoot 1/30 ss in HDV. And refrain to shoot at 1/30 ss in HDV mode, regardless if low light or not, when the shoot involves fast moving subjects or fast camera moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Waters

Last edited by Augusto Manuel; June 23rd, 2005 at 06:56 PM. Reason: additional info
Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Augustus, what is 1/30 ss and why does it cause resolution loss?

I've been playing around with cinematone lately and like it a lot but I only found one, in the picture setup menu, where do you find cinematone 1 and 2 and black stretch? Or is that only on the Z1--I have the FX1.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes, it is only on the Z1. The FX-1 has only one type of Cinematone. I guess the FX-1 does not have BlackStretch if you can't find it in the Picture Profile settings. Black Stretch opens up the blacks so you can see more detail in shadow areas and found it quite useful in this type of camera. It is not the programmable type like the one found in more expensive cameras or in the DVX-100 where you can dial different settings of Black Stretch. 1/30 ss i meant as 1/30 shutter speed. Cuts down vertical resolution because of the field doubling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy Moore
Hi Augustus, what is 1/30 ss and why does it cause resolution loss?

I've been playing around with cinematone lately and like it a lot but I only found one, in the picture setup menu, where do you find cinematone 1 and 2 and black stretch? Or is that only on the Z1--I have the FX1.
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #7
Major Player

Only 1 cinematone setting-on/off, on the FX-1. I'm not seeing a pedestal/black level adjustment on my FX-1 either. Have to adjust blacks in post. Thanks for observations Augusto. BTW, I'm just to the south of you in Pacifica. Good to see a bay area local on the boards.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Making a Z1 out of a FX1

There seem to be very few differences between the FX1 and Z1, hardware-wise. And many of the features we discuss seem to be done in camera software. I wonder if one could upload Z1 firmware into a FX1 and get most of the Z1 specific features.
Bjorn Moren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for info, Augusto. Like I said, I was only quoting someone else. Since then I've been experimenting with my Z1 and really like the CineTone look. I plan to shoot a feature length movie and will be using it most of the time. I have few scenes of fast action. The work is pretty evenly divided interior/exterior, dau/nights and a little effects - flashback and one dream sequence All suggestions are appreciated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1