Lens thread converter: Canon-Sony Z1 (Carl Zeiss) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Tourist

Lens thread converter: Canon-Sony Z1 (Carl Zeiss)

Hi all,

I've recently gotten hold of a Redrock M2 so that I can experiment more with depth of field on my Z1. The trouble is that it requires a Canon lens and mine are all the Carl Zeiss thread lenses which attach straight to the camera.

Can anyone tell me either what converter I need, where to look, or the technical term/spec for the thread on the standard Sony Z1 so I can find the converter?

Thanks!

Mike
Michael J. Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't really understand your question Mike. The Z1 has a very standard 72 mm diameter thread and your M2 requires an adapter so that it will screw into the filter thread of the Z1 - and is designed to take Canon EF bayonet lenses on the other end.

It sounds as if you might be trying to attach camcorder converter lenses as you say thay have 'Zeiss threads', whereas you need Canon still SLR camera lenses of the breech lock or bayonet type.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #3
Major Player

OK, this is a question that probably would work better in a Redrock / lens adapter section. The Z1 is a piece of the puzzle, but not the main one. Posting in a Z1 section means you'll probably missing out on this being seen by some more helpful people.

Can you be more clear with you problem?

Are you having trouble attaching the Z1's lens to the M2? If so you'll need something with 72mm threads. Possibly this: Hard Mount Kit

Or are you having trouble attaching SLR lenses to the M2? If so you'll probably need something from this page: Lens Mounts
Old November 24th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks - and apologies

Hi guys,

Thanks for responding, and sorry for being unclear.

I'm having trouble attaching Z1 lenses to the M2, it takes Canon (bayonet) SLR lenses so the kind of hard mount kits Zach suggested are the sort of thing I need.

I'm also tempted just to get hold of a cheap Canon SLR FD lens to play with, unless you think that'd be a stupid idea?

Thanks again,

Mike
Michael J. Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Attaching Z1 lenses? It's still a bit foggy out there Michael as the Z1 comes with a fixed 12x zoom with a 72 mm filter thread.

The Canon FD should fit the M2 as the bayonet on the SLR body was the same, it's just that early FDs use a breech lock so you turn a knurled ring to attach it, rather than turning the whole lens.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #6
Tourist

By Z1 lenses I just mean 72mm thread lenses, assuming that I can get any that allow me to manually focus?

Cheers for the heads up on the differing locks on Canon lenses, I'll keep an eye on that.
Michael J. Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1