DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Can FX1 (NTSC) play PAL DV or HDV 50i? or vice versa? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/46774-can-fx1-ntsc-play-pal-dv-hdv-50i-vice-versa.html)

Jack Zhang June 25th, 2005 05:04 PM

Can FX1 (NTSC) play PAL DV or HDV 50i? or vice versa?

The FX1 (NTSC) manual doesn't describe if the camera can play PAL DV or HDV 1080i50 and the FX1E (PAL) manual doesn't describe if the camera can play NTSC DV or HDV 1080i60. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE CLARIFY?!?!?!

Barry Green June 25th, 2005 05:43 PM

Don't have a unit to test, but I'd strongly suspect the answer is no. Most DV cameras can't play the other format (i.e., they're PAL-only or NTSC-only). Unless Sony were to specifically advertise PAL-compatible playback on the NTSC unit, you're pretty safe to assume that it won't. And vice versa.

David Newman June 25th, 2005 07:13 PM

They do play each others format.

Steve Crisdale June 25th, 2005 07:39 PM

I have two HDV camcorders: a Sony FX-1e 1080i (PAL) and a JVC HD-10u 720p (NTSC).

I have been able to play 720p NTSC encoded MiniDV cassettes from the JVC with the FX-1e. Display was via component on a 83cm WS LCD HDTV (NTSC/PAL).

Unfortunately my HD-10u has never been able to display via component, so I haven't tried using a 1080i PAL encoded tape from the FX-1e in the HD-10u. I've got the faintest suspicion that it mightn't work the other way around...

I haven't attempted connecting via firewire for capturing from the "out of standard" tapes either. I'd be very surprised if it worked... The component output appears to be before the encoder, so that could well explain why playback via component works.

I wouldn't be surprised at DV encoded material playing back on a HDV camcorder, but I'm sure surprised that the NTSC 720p tapes played back (and without nasty errors!!) in a PAL 1080i camcorder...

Barry Green June 25th, 2005 07:42 PM

I would expect the HDV 720p data to play back on the 1080i camera, even in 50i mode, and vice versa (although not through the firewire). HDV seems to be a lot more format agnostic than PAL/NTSC. The JVC HD100's tape deck specifications show support for basically all the HDV modes, but only NTSC in the DV mode, etc.

David, are you saying you've verified playing a PAL DV tape in an NTSC FX1? Or an NTSC DV tape in a PAL FX1? Not talking about Z1's here, or HDV move, but basic DV playing in the opposite system.

David Newman June 25th, 2005 08:24 PM

We have a array of PAL and NTSC FX1s, we often forget which we are using and play tapes from the wrong format. Everyting works, although timecode/batch capture can be off.

Betsy Moore June 26th, 2005 09:50 PM

Out of curiosity, I played my 720p NTSC HD-1 footage on my PAL FX-1 camera and it played fine but greenish on the camera flip-out screen and beautifully but in black and white for some reason when I plugged it into my 32" NTSC Sony standard definition TV set. I wonder why that is.