Close-up achromatic lens for FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 28th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #1
Trustee

Close-up achromatic lens for FX1

For the macro shots, what would be a good achromatic lens for FX1?

I found Century Optics acromats for almost $400 each - phew... any other, more affordable options? I don't do macro that much to justify the big $$ expense.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Canon's 250D and 500D are a lot less expensive, and 72mm threads. Don't know how they'll hold up for HD resolution, but I presume they'll do just fine.

For a real budget alternative, but still quite high quality, look at the Nikon 5T and 6T. They're 62mm thread, so you'd need a step-down ring, but you can get both for around $100 total.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Barry,

Are those achromats, or just single element closeup lenses?

They don't need be marked HD but they need be achromats.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

Canon makes two series, ones that are less-expensive single-element and ones that are more-expensive two-element achromats. The 250D and 500D are the two-element versions.

The Nikon 5T and 6T are achromats, as far as I know.
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Canon and Nikon optics are superior. I would even not bother with overpriced Century Optics.

Radek
Old June 29th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #6
Trustee

Seems like we need 250D for FX1, judging by the specs: 250D is for 30-135mm focal length of the lens, while 500D is for 70-300mm.

It is my understanding taht FX1 lenses' focal length is 4.5 -54mm, so only Canon 250D will be suitable?

Now, B&H lists 250D with only 52 or 58mm threads. Obviously I'll have to *zoom in* on FX1 any way, but it'd be nice to have 250D with a larger thread (72mm would be nice... they do have 500D with 72mm thread...)
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

52mm or 58mm is quite a step-down, especially for a lens as wide-angle as the FX1. I've got the 5T and 6T on my DVX, and the threads are 62mm, and I have to zoom in to Z60 to get rid of the vignetting (Z60 means about 12.5mm). With a 52mm or 58mm ring you'd have to zoom in even further.

If you're planning on always being zoomed in 100%, then that shouldn't matter, but if you wanted to be able to use more of the focal range of the lens, just be aware that you'll be losing a significant amount of range.
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #8
Major Player

I think he should stay at least 63 mm.

Radek
Old July 1st, 2005, 12:31 PM   #9
Trustee

...so I went for the biggest boobs, and purchased Canon 500D.

It worked! No adapter ring needed (it's already 72mm), and it seems to work just fine.

Not only is it good for macro video, but also it has a side benefit of a shallower DOF - very beautiful.

Barry, Thank You for the great tip!
Old July 1st, 2005, 07:39 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin
Not only is it good for macro video, but also it has a side benefit of a shallower DOF - very beautiful.
You mean you put it on during non-macro video work and got a shallow DOF ?

it would be great !
Jeffrey Liou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 09:35 PM   #11
Barry Wan Kenobi

No, that's not how it works. A diopter can't do anything to change the depth of field of a shot -- it just lets you focus closer than you otherwise would be able to.

Focusing close makes for shallower depth of field, but obviously your subject size will be much bigger. If you have a camera with a fairly long minimum focus distance (like the original DVX100, which had a minimum focus distance of 3 feet), then a diopter will let you move the camera closer and zoom in more while still being able to focus. That can help get a shallower DOF effect than you might otherwise be able to, but it necessarily means you'll be shooting an extreme closeup.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:15 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin
...so I went for the biggest boobs, and purchased Canon 500D.
Alex,

How much is the lens, is it achromat, how many diopters it have? How much is compatable Century Optics lens? How close does camera focus now compared to before?

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1