DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   is this a good HDTV for monitoring and editorial and ofcourse show off to clients... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/46973-good-hdtv-monitoring-editorial-ofcourse-show-off-clients.html)

Dan Farzad June 29th, 2005 03:00 PM

is this a good HDTV for monitoring and editorial and ofcourse show off to clients...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rPath=79*4133*

Jerry Waters June 30th, 2005 08:59 PM

It looks OK to me (but I'm not all that technical). I bought a WinTV 32" from Micro Center and am very happy with it. It is their own brand so they fix anything wrong. The price was $999 after rebate of $100. It had a built in TV with picture-in-picture, etc. It seems very similar. I think it is a great buy. I did take it in the Micro Center store and hooked up my Z1 before I bought it.

Mark Woollard July 1st, 2005 05:31 AM

Using component out, I've shown Z1 HDV footage on a 42" LCD rear projection and a 30" widescreen CRT, both Sony's. No comparison. The CRT looks more lifelike, sharper with no motion lag.

Have not tried it on an LCD panel, but suspect the image would be closer to the LCD rear projection than the CRT.

I plan to get a CRT for editing and showing clients.

Jerry Waters July 1st, 2005 06:45 AM

Mine is an LCD panel -- not a Sony. It is far superior to the rear projection models and light enough to carry. Take your camera in to a store with an LCD panel and try it. Micro Center will be happy to do that for you. I already had a 30" CRT. I gave that to my daughter and son-in-law for their new house. (It took 2 people to move it.) I use the 32" LCD panel about (4" thick) for editing and watching television. I think the colors are more natural but everyone has a different opinion.

Mark Woollard July 1st, 2005 10:19 AM

Thanks Gerry. I plan to follow up as you suggest.

Did you find the LCD panel as sharp as the CRT?

Jerry Waters July 1st, 2005 10:33 AM

I think it is. It has a more natural look. On my old crt I watched a lot of regular tv. I see everything on this and poorer quality is more noticeable. For example, I moved my WinTV 250 capture card up to the "Best" setting because the low range, which was ok for burning DVDs, didn't look good enough.

I have everything hooked into this -- computer by DVI, Direct TV box through S video, DVD player through RCA cables (also a Hauppauge MVR), ZI through composite. It all looks good and you haven't edited in Vegas until you do it on a 32" monitor. (Just kidding. There are many better editors than me on this board but doing it on that size screen it a lot easier.)

Tommy Haupfear July 1st, 2005 12:30 PM

I run a 50" Sony LCD and a 34" Sony CRT and with my FX1 their is no contest as interlaced footage will most always looks better on an interlaced display rather than a fixed resolution LCD display.

Philips has a refurb 30" 1080i CRT for $418 Click here Wal-Mart even has them for under $600 brand new.

Anhar Miah July 2nd, 2005 07:29 PM

IMHO you just cant beat good old CRT, the images are so nice and vivid!

Tommy Haupfear July 2nd, 2005 08:27 PM

Wow, just noticed that the Philips 30" CRT I linked to above also has free shipping.. You don't see deals like this everyday!

Jeff Baker July 2nd, 2005 11:21 PM

I have a phillips, but it is not true 1080i, it is upscaled. The 1080i can be totally misleading and not indicate true pixel resolution. It looks good, but not as good as it would if I had pixel for pixel monitor.

Tommy Haupfear July 3rd, 2005 07:24 AM

Yeah, I don't think any of the consumer 1080i CRTs are true 1080i but the FX1 still looks better on a 1080i set since both are native interlaced.

Fred Foronda July 8th, 2005 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Baker
I have a phillips, but it is not true 1080i, it is upscaled. The 1080i can be totally misleading and not indicate true pixel resolution. It looks good, but not as good as it would if I had pixel for pixel monitor.

theres that old saying...what you pay for is what you get.

I to is in a market for a 30-34" for my room and to view my videos off my fx1. Can't decide if I wanna go LCD or CRT. There are no tue 1080i CRTs? I guess I have to settle for an LCD then but fear of the lag cause I do watch a lot of DVDs and play the PS2 a lot.

Tommy Haupfear July 8th, 2005 12:44 PM

Fred, I think you would be ok with a 1080i CRT because the FX1 is not true 1080i. :)

btw - You can get Winbook's 32" widescreen HD LCD with a sub 16ms response time for lag free gaming! I believe its right around $1000.

Fred Foronda July 8th, 2005 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Haupfear
Fred, I think you would be ok with a 1080i CRT because the FX1 is not true 1080i. :)

Really? Then why would Sony say it shoots in 1080i. This whole HD movement is miss leading.

I think I wanna get the Sony "M-Series" lcd due to the less space it occupies.

Fred Foronda August 10th, 2005 02:07 PM

after researching and browsing...CRT is crossed out of my list. to darn heavy!!! looking into getting a 32" LCD to add to my goodies. any seggestions?? need to have that 1394 input and good response time...you know only the best.

thanks