Which Head Cleaning Tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:25 AM   #1
New Boot

Which Head Cleaning Tape

I have just recently purchased a HVR-Z1E which has a Sony DVM4CLD head cleaning tape with it. Now I am not sure if this is the apropriate tape for this camcorder.

When I had my Sony HVR-A1E I remember reading somwhere that the Sony DVM12CLD was the apropriate tape for that camcorder. This happened to be the more expensive cleaning tape! and it worked just fine.
I can not find any info on the HVR-Z1E and which head cleaning tape to use. All my searches mostly refer to the newer model Z's.

Does anyone know which Sony Head Cleaning Tape I should use?

What's the differance between the 4 and the 12? is it possibly just the length of tape?
any help on this would be apreciated please.

And if we can start a thread on head cleaning maybe it could be of interest to people. How often should we clean the heads, does it put extra wear and tear on the heads each time we clean them. I heard some head cleaning tapes can be abrasive! what sort of liquids do they have on them, is it just some form of alchahol based cleaning solution or are they dry.

Ok, so my main question is Which Sony Head Cleaning Tape Should I use on my Z1 is it the DVM4CLD or the DVM12CLD?

Thanks (:-})
Carl Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Adams View Post
What's the difference between the 4 and the 12? is it possibly just the length of tape?
I'm pretty sure that's it.
Quote:
And if we can start a thread on head cleaning maybe it could be of interest to people.
Lots of posts on this already in the Tape forum.
Quote:
How often should we clean the heads
According to the white paper just published by Sony (and linked to in the Tape forums), about every 50 hours.
Quote:
does it put extra wear and tear on the heads each time we clean them
Yes, a little, so it's important to follow the directions.
Quote:
I heard some head cleaning tapes can be abrasive!
Yes, that's how they work.
Quote:
what sort of liquids do they have on them, is it just some form of alcohol based cleaning solution or are they dry.
They're dry.
Quote:
Ok, so my main question is Which Sony Head Cleaning Tape Should I use on my Z1 is it the DVM4CLD or the DVM12CLD?
Whatever came with your cam will be fine.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:32 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the reply Adam,

So basically the 4 or 12 in the DVM CLD is the running time of tape. And the Sony cleaning tapes are dry with abrasive qualities, so should not be used more than is necessary.

Did not know there was a tape forum, I shall go check that out now!

Many Thanks (:-})
Carl Adams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1