Ultra 2 Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 5th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #1
Trustee

Ultra 2 Questions

Are the virtual sets in HD resolution?

Also, why are the virtual sets all CG? Wouldn't photos of real sets be more realistic?
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #2

(correct me if I'm wrong, Mark) The CG sets as far as I know, are currently all SD resolution.
The CG sets are SO much more than just "photos" of sets. They contain 3d flythrus, so you can have cameras pan/crane down to the subject, they contain additional masks for dual layer keying, you can move a subject in one part of the frame and simulate a camera push/pull/pan due to the way the virtual sets work. The only way this could be done in the "real" world is to create a set, and shoot it using a dolly, crane, and all operators etc that accompany such a production.
I agree, some of the CG sets look less than totally realistic. With some marginal color correction in an app, you can make them look more realistic (some of them) but as far as what they do....I don't see how Serious Magic could affordably map actual shots of actual sets with all the accompanying camera movement and still allow users keyframe capability, AND keep it all affordable. If I was paying 1K or more for a set of "real" libraries, I'd likely just build my own, or rent a set.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Is it possible to create your own 3D sets? With 3DS Max, Maya or Lightwave?
John McGinley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1