Whats the REAL Sony Z1U Replacement? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Whats the REAL Sony Z1U Replacement?

Is it the Sony Z5, Z7, Ex Cam, or something else?

Please only reply if you have used the Z1 or Fx1 and have a new Camera to compare against.

Thanks in advance!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I think it's the ex series

After starting off on a Z1U I feel my current cam, (xdcam EX1) is the most worthy to be called the z1us evolved form as it has larger chips, is not tape based, has a much better lens, and is a lot better in low light (Z1U was supposed to be good). All the other prosumer-ish cams found in between are really just evolutionary steps, but not a full evolution to something that is very superior.
Jeremiah Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #3
Major Player

As far as a camera that is the same basically is what I meant, I realize the EX is better footage, etc, but if you just want to replace the Z1 with same quality footage and same quality camera what are the options?
Old February 13th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Your question is difficult to answer as "replacement" means different things to different people. In terms of the cam that is the most similar, physically and features-wise, but has evolved with many improvements? Probably the Z5. It's basically the same cam with CMOS chips and some nice firmware enhancements.

But you could really say "yes" to any and all those you mentioned above.
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The REAL Z1U replacement in terms of CCD cameras is the Canon XH-A1/XH-G1.

When you're not counting CCDs, I'd have to agree that all of the above fit into what would be called a Z1U replacement.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #6
New Boot

IMHO the HVR-Z7 is the true replacement and evolution of the Z1
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

So there you go: four people, four different defintions of "replacement," four different answers.
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #8
Major Player

The EX1 isn't the direct replacement but is the next logical leap. You get alot more bang for your buck and it's an easy step up for a Z1 operator.

I've just been shooting with my EX1 and Z1 side by side. You realise that what you thought was good on the Z1 actually looks pretty poor alongside the EX1 even when the EX1 is shooting in HDV mode!
Old February 18th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I have a FX1 as well as AVCHD Sony SR11 and XR500. I think I will be getting the NX5. In good light the XR500 has a better picture than the FX1. In difficult light the FX1 has the advantage only in the ability to manually adjust gain and iris independently to manage depth of field and grain. Having said that the XR500 has a noticeably lower grain at 15db than the FX1 at 9db. The XR500 is also a lot sharper. In full auto, reasonable light, the XR500 is superior to the FX1 at less than 1/4 the price!!!! Since the Z1 is essentially the same camera as the FX1 you can draw your own conclusions. In a recent shoot with FX1, EX1 and XR500 the EX1 was clearly superior. However if your looking for a 1/3" Sony replacement I think the NX5 would be the one with better recorded image than the HDV Z5. The Z7 has interchangeable lens so really is not the replacement model. IF you want CCD you may wish to wait and see what Canon will announce.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #10
Major Player

I believe the NX5 is lower quality then the Z5, isnt? There was a thread about it recording the footage as 24mps, and the Z5 is 25mps (HDV).

I could be wrong, but thats what I understood.

Never heard of the XR500, but generally you get what you pay for, so I would be surprised if its better then the Fx1
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #11
Major Player

The REAL Replacement - The Improvements and Un-Improvements from the Z1

The real replacement (aka replacement meaning you would be replacing your Z1 for the same cost and quality of footage and controls) is the Z5 looks like.

DISADVANTAGES from Z1
-The LCD screen is smaller and watch out for dead pixels.
-Cmos means slower auto focus and searching time
-Heavier (gets getting used to if your using the Glidecam without a Vest)
-Menu wheel is akward
-Shot Transistion is hidden in menus (not a huge deal)

IMPROVEMENTS over Z1
-Wider angle lens, and 20x zoom
-Better in low light (even when zoomed in 100%)
-Slow Motion recording is nice for some things
-Iris Ring is great!
-Able to record on Memory with extra device
-Uses less power
-Image quality is better (also uses full HDV res)
-Able to focus on small objects that are closer to the lens
-7th assignable button
-Audio switches are on the camera, rather then in a menu
-Able to take pictures if needed (a useless thing some might like tho)
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Yes Silas, you could be wrong.

Your pros and cons list doesn't mention that the Z1's screen is visible in bright, direct sunlight, and that it's on-screen alphanumerics are a sensible size to read.

For me the Z1's beautifully damped, big, knurled alloy knob is far nicer to use than that ring around the lens. Historical placement doesn't make it right.

The NX has GPS and an amazing OIS+EIS Steadyshot.

The Z1 has CCDs, so lacks the flash banding and bendy propeller blades of the CMOS replacement.

Tape is £1 per hour, SDHC is 10x that.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Major Player

Surely the replacement of the Z1 is the Z7? And the Sony FX1 is the Z5?
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #14
Inner Circle

In pure sequence the Z1 replacement is the Z5 and the FX1 replacement is the FX1000. They have both now been moved in my mind by the NX5U and the AX2000. The Z7 and 270 have interchangeable lens so in my mind are not the same series as the fixed lens product.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I have the Z1u and shoot two V1u's along side. I'm thinking of getting a triplet of some type of upgrade next year. So I'm interested in this thread as well. I imagine they'll be something new next year. I think if I had to give a reason, it would be wanting better light.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1