New to Z1U, Curious About Workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #1
New Boot

New to Z1U, Curious About Workflow

Hello everyone and pardon the new thread if this has been covered. I searched but couldn't quite get my searches to show me info I actually wanted; stuff that was apropos to my own situation. So here goes....

Work has tasked me (because I volunteered and had the most experience with video, albeit DV) with the Sony Z1U tasks. We're shooting run and gun type stuff very soon and I need to whip together a workflow. My question is this...

I want to take each tape after ingestion into Final Cut Express (v4) and quickly create a full tape duplicate in low quality Quicktime so that my boss can review the whole tape and decide what she wants and what she wants to trash. The file would be stuck on our LAN but she doesn't want to sit at the editing station to do it (nor do I want her there either). Thoughts?

I haven't worked with HDV before so you can imagine my surprise an hour ago when I thought I would just render the 1hr long clip to H.264 and our brand new Mac Pro quad Xeon said ~7 hours. OOF!!! That won't work. I understand that I can recapture the video as DV using the in-camera conversion, which would then render considerably quicker after the additional hour of ingest, but is that my only option?

Thanks in advance! Much appreciated.
Alec Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sony makes a variety of Direct to DVD burners (starting with the MC3 and now up to the MC10, I think, starting at under $100) that could burn the tape to DVD and downconvert, all in real-time, and the disc could be played anywhere while you do your work.

This way the boss has all the footage after the first hour and you can begin working after the second.
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If you shooting in a fixed position you can record to two sources at once. one to tape the other to dvd using as sony direct to dvd recorder.

obviously sd would speed up your current work flow
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Trustee

We use three Z1s and have an MRC1K on each. We use 16Gb Cf cards and a high speed reader. We edit on Liquid which means one more step but getting 12 tapes (or equivalent) into the computer which used to take a day now takes 2.5 hours.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1