DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Fx1 iris is stuck closed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/475663-fx1-iris-stuck-closed.html)

Chad Terpstra March 26th, 2010 05:44 PM

Fx1 iris is stuck closed

Turn it on, open the lens cover, all the info is there but no image.
It happened once before but a couple "love taps" and it opened right up again. This time no such abuse has any effect. I can see it closed actually (two blades it looks like) and there is a sliver between the. Where an image will cme through of the brightest things like lights.

No response from the iris control (other than to fully close) and zooming does nothing to help either.

Anyone heard of this? I was just about to sell it too...

Bob Hart March 26th, 2010 09:53 PM

Chad.

That does not sound sweet at all. If you can see a gap between two blades, it means that either those two blades have become disconnected from the actuator ring or their outer hinge or they have not and the rest have. Whichever it means that at least one blade is not moving and jamming the rest.

The lovetap may have reset one which was partially out of its pivot hole but if it made it all the way out, that is probably it I am afraid.

You could perhaps try another lovetap whilst moving the iris to open with the camera pointed towards the ceiling or directly down to the floor or upside-down in the reverse of the position it was in when the fault occurred, which might reset the pivot in its hole, but it won't be a fix that will endure.

Once the little blades come out of their pivot or actuator holes, they tend to move furthur out of position.

Paul Cascio March 27th, 2010 10:27 AM

This is extreme, but I would try to find a way to use centrifical force to push the iris blades outware. To do this requires a circular motion, either manually by swinging the camera in circles around, or as a last resort, some type of a mild centrifuge. This of course is not without risk, but if your camera is otherwise unusable, it's maybeworth a try.

Chad Terpstra March 27th, 2010 11:17 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'll monkey with it some more but at this point it's not really sellable without service. I'll have to call Sony to see what something like this might cost... Hopefully not more than $500. I use it maybe 3 times a year so it's getting to that time to say goodbye. I still see them going for $1,500+ on Ebay.
Thanks again.

Paul Cascio March 27th, 2010 01:43 PM

My guess is that Sony will require you to buy an entire lens assembly as I don't believe they service it at component level.

Chad Terpstra March 27th, 2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1506331)
My guess is that Sony will require you to buy an entire lens assembly as I don't believe they service it at component level.

................. Oh crap.

Silas Barker April 7th, 2010 11:30 PM

Just curious what happened with Sony and your camera?
I had to replace my lens but it was under warranty. Same deal, sticking iris.

Just curious what it costs?
Next camera I buy I might get one of those extended warrantys.

Allister Gourlay March 16th, 2011 01:12 PM

Re: Fx1 iris is stuck closed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra (Post 1506349)
................. Oh crap.

Chad how did you get on with your iris problem I have the same problem with my sony Z1

Michael Liebergot March 25th, 2011 07:04 AM

Sony lenses can't be repaired with parts, as Sony only sells the entire lens for replacement.

I went through this a few years ago with an older camera.

Dave Allen April 3rd, 2011 11:34 PM

Yes, but Sony repair in Texas replaced my entire FX1 lens with a new one, and completely serviced the rest of the camera and did all factory adjustments for about $550! Everyone else wanted around $1400.