still worth buying a Fx1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Major Player

still worth buying a Fx1?

I am new to HDV, and can't make up my mind as to what' best (solid state vs tape)

I only owned a solid state HD camcorder (panasonic tm300) that I sold immediately as I hated the amount of noise and artifacts

i mainly shoot for DVD and for Web and need a decent low light capability.

do you guys think it's still worth buying 2nd hand an FX1?
or is it worth going to something more recent like a panny 150, or even a sony ex1?
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Major Player

I can't speak for other newer cameras but the FX1 is cheap and perfectly good for web and DVD needs. The Z1U is about twice the price last I checked, because it has xlr mic inputs and some other extra features (can it shoot progressive footage natively? That would be cool). But I haven't found any reason to spend any more money than the FX1 (I rarely record audio, and when I do I just rent a beachtech for xlr inputs).

I am pretty excited for the new RED camera (fixed) "Scarlet". It's in the prosumer price range but shoots "raw" "cinema quality" footage.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #3
Trustee

Is a good choice....when u look @ the footage on a plasma or lcd u'll be like OHHHH!

BTW how much should be the SCARLET?
thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:01 AM   #4
Trustee

The tape transport mechanism is the achilles heel of any tape-based camera. You are much more likely to need an expensive repair with tape, and an FX1 is now an older camera. I would consider a solid state camera, such as the Panny HMC-150 for just a bit more.
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Currently fixed scarlet is $4750, but it hasn't been released yet. Scarlet interchangeable sounds like a good deal at around two thousand, but it would actually cost over $10,000 all together, so the "fixed" is cheaper.

http://red.cachefly.net/N30/Nov30th.jpg
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Major Player

Is the HVR-FX1 a current model? I can't find it at B&H and searching both the Sony USA Consumer & Professional websites, they don't show it either.

At this point in time I think you would be better off getting the more current HDR-AX2000.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Inner Circle

While the FX1 is a fine cam and many are still in use, it was discontinued more than a year ago, supplanted by newer technology. The AX2000/NX5 (or FX1000/Z5 if you don't mind tape) are your best bets.
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Perale View Post
do you guys think it's still worth buying 2nd hand an FX1?
or is it worth going to something more recent like a panny 150, or even a sony ex1?
If you can afford any of the cameras in that line-up, then obviously the EX1 is tops, followed by the 150, followed by the FX1. But going for the latter (second hand) will save you thousands, and I sure bet you could find something to spend those thousands on.

If you do go looking for a second hand FX1, read my post about what to look out for.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...-hand-fx1.html

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Mannion View Post
Currently fixed scarlet is $4750, but it hasn't been released yet. Scarlet interchangeable sounds like a good deal at around two thousand, but it would actually cost over $10,000 all together, so the "fixed" is cheaper.

http://red.cachefly.net/N30/Nov30th.jpg
Oh my! Am I reading this right? 3k footage camera for $4750? Is that package ready to go and film or would you need anything else?
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #10
Trustee

It's definitely NOT ready to go. Current best guess is that it will be released sometime in the fall. But Red's philosophy is that "anything can change, including release dates." (or something like that)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1