Buying a second hand FX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 28th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Sanchez View Post
When you say FX1000 is vastly superior, in what way ? I have read about the two cameras a while back and recall some differences but interested to hear your thoughts.
Sharper, punchier picture, much better in low light, longer zoom (and much longer tele), sharper LCD, more pro functions (like black stretch), nicer on-screen data display, smooth zoom ramping in and out. Downside: MENU button and scroll wheel a bit fiddly but you get used to it. You trade the FX1's CCD smear for the FX1000's CMOS flash banding and whip-pan skew, but neither have ever really been an issue for me.

Even so, after six months I moved up to the Z5s and for the first time in my life I find myself not lusting after any other cams. But this would probably bust your budget badly. We'd be ratcheting you from $2K for a used FX1 to $3K for a new FX1000 to $4K for a Z5, and of course you might as well get the MRC1k CF recording unit, which brings you to about $4750, which really isn't that far from a Z7 at $5K... which really means you might as well get the EX1r for about $6k... come to think of it, that isn't so far from the EX3 at about $8K.

I swear, it's a drug...
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Lol... Yes i know the feeling..

I didnt know the FX1000 had some of those things you mentioned.. When im a bit closer to saving this last bit, it i will look at it again. The only thing i didnt like when i looked at it before was on the zoom dial they have gotten rid of the little handle, i havent used one without this yet but i imagine it would be a bit trickier rolling the zoom ring without it..

I work with two other guys who have an FX1 and Z1 so id like something that will work with that.. Ideally it would be great to have a picture profile across the 3 that matches exactly and then id only have to worry about colour matching one or two other cameras that we use from time to time..

By the way, thanks for all your help.
Randy Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Happy to help.

If you want to match the FX1/Z1, that's what you should probably buy. Maybe a used Z1. They just have a very different look than the newer CMOS FX1000/Z5. Much softer to my eye. You can't really make the Z1 sharper to match the FX1000/Z5, but I suppose you could soften the image from the FX1000 to match the older cams.

Z1s are built like tanks and many are still in daily use.
Old April 29th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #19
Trustee

I still use a Z1 as my primary camera. Great camera. I love it.

You're right about that drug thing, though. I'm eyeing the Scarlet big time...
Old April 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Happy to help.

If you want to match the FX1/Z1, that's what you should probably buy. Maybe a used Z1. They just have a very different look than the newer CMOS FX1000/Z5. Much softer to my eye. You can't really make the Z1 sharper to match the FX1000/Z5, but I suppose you could soften the image from the FX1000 to match the older cams.

Z1s are built like tanks and many are still in daily use.
If i can find a good 2nd hand Z1 i'll be happy to go that way.. If i did go an FX1000, do you know if they have the picture profile and AE response setting that FX1 and Z1 has ? I just got home from our shoot and after i setup picture profile with the AE response it worked well, didnt get any over exposed faces...
Randy Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #21
Inner Circle

They should all roughly have the same settings, although navigating to them may differ by model.... Some settings that are in Picture Profiles for one model may be in the more general menus for another at the same level.
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #22
Tourist

FX1E firewire port is fried (I think).

Hi people, hi Chris,

How can I fix fried firewire port of FX1E?

It is possible to find firewire replacement somewhere?
Ferit Yazgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Only way to fix it is to send it in to a repair shop. In the States, it's about a $500 repair.

Always have everything powered off when connecting Firewire.
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferit Yazgan View Post
Hi people, hi Chris,

How can I fix fried firewire port of FX1E?

It is possible to find firewire replacement somewhere?
Check out this video, may not apply to you, but some 'fried' ports are actually a broken solder inside

YouTube - Sony HDR-FX1 firewire port repair
Mike McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #25
Major Player

attaching an extension to the firewire port

Taping to the port a short firewire extension (3-5inch long, 4pin male to 4pin female) may be a way to prevent troubles. There are also adapters (4pin male to 6pin female , belkin) that can also be attached and taped.
This way you don't connect to the port but to the extension. That should prevent most of the damages to the connector of the port.
On my FX1 I use a short cable (3inch) taped on the port and so far so good (knocking wood!!!).
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1