high shutter speeds = distortion/artifacts? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 9th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Most CCD cams are far more prone to CCD smear at high shutter speeds. Your 'graininess' description doesn't sound like this though.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #17
Major Player

Tom, that might well be it, I looked at a recent case (didnt take a still this time) and there is quite a lot of blurring/smearing as well. I'd have thought a high shutter speed would have prevented this but it seems to have made it worse
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #18
Inner Circle

CCD smear was a disastrous failing of the PDX10. I tested the camera for Computer Video magazine a few years back, and my tests showed that smear made any shutter speed faster than 1/100th sec a no-go area.
Attached Thumbnails
high shutter speeds = distortion/artifacts?-pdx10.jpg   high shutter speeds = distortion/artifacts?-trampooline.jpg  

high shutter speeds = distortion/artifacts?-pdx10-smear6-.jpg  
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Payne View Post
Tom, that might well be it, I looked at a recent case (didnt take a still this time) and there is quite a lot of blurring/smearing as well. I'd have thought a high shutter speed would have prevented this but it seems to have made it worse
The FX1 has a 24p cinema effect (or 25 in your case). Have you tried using that? Granted it's not true 25p, but neither is what you are doing.

My videos look a lot like the screen shot you attached when I view them in Final Cut. That's why I de-interlace and/or convert to pro res. What program are you looking at and what's your codec?
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #20
Major Player

Do you mean you deinterlace when exporting stills or the actual video? I only deinterlace video when slowing it down but I still manage to get quite bad jitter.
I use premiere pro cs4 and I'm unsure of codec but export as 1920x1080 mpeg2.

Thanks for the ccd smear info and pics, although I do get that it appears I can now rule that out of this issue.
David J. Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1