Matte Box / Lens Hood & Filter Holder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 26th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Matte Box / Lens Hood & Filter Holder

What matte boxes or just lens hood/filter holders are available for the Z1?

I saw a picture of something that would fit over the Z1 with the Sony .8x Wide adapter on it that was just the barn doors and had a slot for a filter. No rails or focus or anything.....

Don't want to spend $2000 on something but would really like to be able to put a ND grad filter in to stop skys from blowing out.

Thanks!
Stacy Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #2
Major Player

For that purpose you can't beat the Cokin system for sheer bang for the buck. I don't know what the filter size of your Z1 is, but Cokin offers a self-supporting bellows lens hood attached to their filter holder in the A, P and X-Pro series. I use the X-Pro hood on my Fujinon lens, which has an 82mm filter size. Since all my work is outdoors, I keep the polarizer in place, then add one or the other graduated NDs to knock down the sky. The darker one for overcast, the lighter for clear or partly cloudy skies. Works like a balm!
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

i'd say go for the cavision.

http://www.cavision.com

i've got the 4x4 box, but they all make a 4x5 which you might want to look at aswell.
Old July 27th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Boze
For that purpose you can't beat the Cokin system for sheer bang for the buck. I don't know what the filter size of your Z1 is, but Cokin offers a self-supporting bellows lens hood attached to their filter holder in the A, P and X-Pro series. I use the X-Pro hood on my Fujinon lens, which has an 82mm filter size. Since all my work is outdoors, I keep the polarizer in place, then add one or the other graduated NDs to knock down the sky. The darker one for overcast, the lighter for clear or partly cloudy skies. Works like a balm!
I think for my uses (just pretty pictures, etc -- absolutely not making any money or doing anything professional) the Cokin is just fine, too.

The Z1 has an 72mm thread.

The Z1 has a rectangular lens hood to accomodate its 16:9 format. I noticed that the Cokin seems to be square. Won't I have a problem with the wrong shape?

Also, all things being equal, what parts would I need to purchase to, well, pretty much have what you have? B&H doesn't exactly have links for accessories when you click on something.

Thanks!
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Has anyone used this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The only catch I have is that Centuryoptics.com doesn't even mention it on their web site.

This seems like exactly what I want, and.... it's only $129.00 (not including any filters of course).
Old July 28th, 2005, 03:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Stacy,

The Cokin hood is rectangular, more 4:3 than 16:9, but it's highly unlikely that this would cause any vignetting. On my setup, even though the lens has a 6.5mm wide angle, and my camera format is 1/2", for a 35mm film equivalent of a 32mm wide angle lens, there is no vignetting even with the hood fully extended. This wouldn't be the case if I were using the P-series hood and holder. I know you'll have no trouble with the X-Pro unit, but the P-series may be cutting it a little fine. It might be best to visit a local camera shop and ask to try the P-series unit on your Z1. If it works to your satisfaction, go for it.

I use the Cokin X-Pro 120 and 121 gray graduated filters for sky control, as well as the 164 Circular Polarizer. I also have the 152 and 153 ND filters, but have yet to actually use them, since the camera's built-in ND filter, in conjunction with the former three filters, does the trick.

The only disappointment with the Cokin filter holder is that when you install a polarizer, it blocks one of the two standard filter slots, so only one other filter can be used with it. At least, that's how it is with the circular polarizer, perhaps the linear filter is thinner. What's more, Cokin doesn't make a "cap" for the X-Pro unit, unlike the P- and A-series, yet dust never seems to be a problem...

BTW, the X-Pro filters come with their own suede sleeves, which I think are nicer than the clamshell boxes used with the P-series. Also, between the camera lens and the Cokin adapter ring, I use a multicoated haze filter for protection. I got everything from B&H.

Hope this helps!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1