DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Dropped FX1 servo motor acting crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/483685-dropped-fx1-servo-motor-acting-crazy.html)

Jeff Harper August 22nd, 2010 09:47 PM

Dropped FX1 servo motor acting crazy

FX1 was dropped, now it is zooming in and out like crazy by itself, completely out of focus. After it is turned on, it does this for a while, then it settles down and works fine at full zoom. But when I try and use focus ring to make it go wide it goes crazy again.

I know it must go to Sony, but does anyone have ANY idea what cost might be involved? I ask because for them to look at it will cost $250, and it may not be worth repariing...so I don't want to waste money on a diagnosis if possible. Thanks in advance if you have any helpful information...Jeff

Michael Liebergot August 23rd, 2010 11:31 AM

Jeff, I just had something similar happening with one of my FX1s.
I would zoom out, and then the lens woudl slowly creep into full zoom and lose focus ability.

I didn't drop the camera, but it was used in extreme heat and humidity (both days 100 degrees with extreme humidity) for 2 consecutive weeks. So I think the excessive heat caused the problem.

I sent it off to Armatos, who I would highly recommend, and it was diagnosed with two problems. One was a faulty main board, and the other was the lens assembly itself, in which both were replaced.

Total cost for repair for me was $650. Which surprised me to say the least, as the lens assembly normally runs for $1,200 retail. Armatos seems to get a discount of products at list and passes this along to the consumer. Made me happy.

Oh BTW, this feels strange that I was able to post two FX1 problem and solutions, as I just made a post last week. However these were for two different cameras, at different time frames. The other post was almost 2 years ago, and this one was recently, within the last 2 months.

Jeff Harper August 23rd, 2010 02:14 PM

Michael, I was told by friend he thought the board was part of the issue, so it sounds like your experienced runs similar to what is going on with this one.

I deeply appreciate the recommendation of the repair company...Best Regards, Jeff Harper

Anthony Cipriano October 14th, 2010 07:40 PM

Dropped FX-1

Hey Jeff. I'd like to jump in here since this seems to be the problem with my FX-1 when diagnosed after it fell off a monopod, being not securely fastened. They're saying the lens assembly is the issue, plus a new drum. All in all, they're quoting me $2500.00 to replace these parts citing to Sony's high cost for same. I took the camera back and posted some pictures tonight (See "Repair or Not?") i wonder if I should contact Armatos as well?
Let me know how the cam made out. Thanks.