What tapes to buy for my z1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 27th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Honestly, I really have not experienced any serious problems with basic £3 pound tapes. I dont deny the scientific logic put forward here by those who have studied the matter in detail, and I'll add I am not experienced in regular HDV usage. But the cost of these premium tapes is extortion, and don't think it amounts to real value. I am sure they do add something as has been mentioned, but what does this add up to in the real world, 10% less dropout? Sure, if the client is happy to pay this money for tape on a DV production, then what the hell - but call me old-fashioned - if you dont see the difference, the isnt any.

To further my point I've oft seen break up on sony DVCAM tapes shot on big guns, no more, no less than any other stock in my humble view.

All this also begs the question, what about when you transfer to your hard drive, does the quality of HD surface impact on some of the points Douglas has mentioned?
John Poore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
can't complain much about a 10.00 tape.
Can I complain about a $22 tape? ;-)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #18
New Boot

Using Sony Premium 60 through my Z1, approximately 40 hours recording so far without a single drop-out (fx: touches wood).
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I am using DigitalMaster tape for HDV in my Z1. At 'only' US$15 per 60 minutes, it seems a fair insurance, maybe. (?!)

But I also want to shoot DVCAM for some projects. Would changing tapes for DVCAM (say to Sony Premium) cause trouble due to switching between tape types?

I know this topic of sticking with one tape has been beaten to death on the DV forums over the years, but does same apply to switching between DigitalMaster and Premium for HDV/DVCAM in the same Z1?

A never ending topic, eh? :)

Last edited by Richard Entwistle; July 29th, 2005 at 03:10 AM.
Richard Entwistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #20
Regular Crew

UPdate on tapes

HI
Having been playing aroudn with my z1 now for a few months I must say that Sony Premium tape have been 100% ok.. No issues at all with dropout.. top banana and at about £2.40 each buying in bulk from ebay excellent value!!

cheers
mat

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1