is this even possible.. (FX1 brightness question) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 5th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Major Player

is this even possible.. (FX1 brightness question)

hi all, i have 4 FX1's and one of them always seems to display a darker image when at the same settings as the others. The LCD brightness is set to exactly the same but it always seems a fraction darker in exactly the same situation and settings as the others... am I imagining things?
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Probably not.
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

All I can think of is the normal stuff to check.

1. LCD backlight (switch on the handle)
2. Brightness level (+ and - buttons on the handle)
3. Alternate brightness setting (select bright or normal in the menus)
4. Picture profile settings (if you're using them)
5. Plug in all cameras or use batteries on all cameras when comparing them (plugging in the FX1 forces it into "bright" mode rather than "normal" in the viewfinder...this might be affecting your LCD too, but I can't say for sure)
6. Make use of your zebras to verify that all cameras are recording at the same exposure (in order to determine whether the problem is only with the display and not the camera's ability to record a similar picture)

Alec Moreno
Wedding Art Films - Southern California - Los Angeles - Orange County - Video
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You say, 'seems to display a darker image' but you're only talking about display, right? When you view the footage off tape all the four cameras will be pretty much equal?

Of course there are mechanical, electronic and build tolerances at play here, but I'd be very surprised if Sony's max and min production line tolerances allowed more than a third of a stop between one end and the other.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1