FX1 and Sports at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 9th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1 and Sports

I was wondering what would be the best settings for shooting sports? The footage will most likely go online, but I would like to know the settings for dvd too. Thanks.
John Joyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

With the the FX1 you don't have a lot of choices. Just leave it on Auto. The default settings are fine. Just make sure you use a tripod and do a proper WB.

When shooting on a tripod, you'll want to turn STEADYSHOT off. You may wish to activate the Center Marker to assist you in framing, and if you're shooting outdoors where the light varies, you could turn AE RESPONSE to SLOW. Other than that, not much tweaking to do. Under good light the AF should work well but if it doesn't you'll want to go manual. I also set the AGC LIMIT to 6 and the AT IRIS LMT to 6.8 in a Picture Profile I call Sports. Under no circumstances should you use Cinematone Gamma or Cineframe modes.

And obviously always shoot in HDV mode even if you're eventually going to DVD or Web. Even if your PC can't handle HDV you can downconvert upon capture.

What type of sports? Indoor, outdoor, day, night?

Last edited by Adam Gold; September 9th, 2010 at 12:39 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Adam. This is an indoor basketball game with some current and ex nba players.
John Joyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Indoors, a manual WB will be critical. There's nothing worse than Basketball lighting.
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

My personal preference would be to use a mix of autofocus and manual focus. The autofocus on this camera and the Z1 is good. Low light may trouble it a little. Players getting in between you and the action may fox the autofocus momentarily.

I like to do some focus checks with a large siemens star at "landmarks" within a venue prior to the event and note the distance numbers from the LCD screen on a piece of paper, cardboard or a yellow sticky.

The distance numbers displayed on the bottom of the LCD screen when zoomed in seem to be accurate with this camera.

So if in doubt when in manual focus and the action suddenly moves away, I find setting to the number when zoomed in and letting the action move into it quite handy.

I am short-sighted which is why I do this.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

This is where the PEAKING function will come in handy.
Old September 11th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have the FX1, and shoot rugby league games. What shutter would you suggest for such fast sports action?
Gan Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

My personal preference is to stay with the 1/50th sec shutter. When doing fast pan follows, the motion blur might help the codec keep a sharper resolution on the subjects you are holding frame upon.

Otherwise I tend not to go above 1/150th sec.

For a stylised effect, a faster shutter with the longer zoom shots is a cool look.

I do use the peaking to help with my eyesight.

Last edited by Bob Hart; September 12th, 2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Cheers Bob will keep that in mind.
Gan Eden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1