Indoor club filming. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 29th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #1
New Boot

Indoor club filming.

Hi.
I need to take footage of several night-clubs during working hours. Any recommendations in term of settings? I'm also worried about cigarette smoke.

Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Asmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #2
Contributor

I'm highly susceptible to pneumonia, and cigarette smoke bothers the hell out of me too. If I am in a smokey environment for very long I start coughing the next day, then that turns into a bronchial infection and that in turn has become pneumonia a few times. So I try to avoid shooting in smokey bars anymore, although I've done it many times.

Normally I'd use the 3200K setting. The white lights will be a little warm, but you'll pick up the colored lights nicely. This assumes there's no daylight coming in. Until you get there it's impossible to know much about the light. You may have to use a bit of high gain, but try to keep that to a minimum. I've shot at bars at night with a DSR250 and got by with no gain. You might have to go to a +3 or +6. You also should probably do some testing before you shoot in terms of camera settings--like you may want to flatten things out a bit in terms of contrast, etc.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
I'm highly susceptible to pneumonia, and cigarette smoke bothers the hell out of me too. If I am in a smokey environment for very long I start coughing the next day, then that turns into a bronchial infection and that in turn has become pneumonia a few times. So I try to avoid shooting in smokey bars anymore, although I've done it many times.

Normally I'd use the 3200K setting. The white lights will be a little warm, but you'll pick up the colored lights nicely. This assumes there's no daylight coming in. Until you get there it's impossible to know much about the light. You may have to use a bit of high gain, but try to keep that to a minimum. I've shot at bars at night with a DSR250 and got by with no gain. You might have to go to a +3 or +6. You also should probably do some testing before you shoot in terms of camera settings--like you may want to flatten things out a bit in terms of contrast, etc.
I agree Bill,

3200 preset is the correct setting for getting the true color of the lights that are gelled.
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1