Sony Z1 downconvert problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:24 AM   #1
Tourist

Sony Z1 downconvert problem

Hello.

I am trying to downconvert HD footage from my new Z1 camera to SD. I'm doing a trail and error procedure b/c I live in China and the manuel is... all chinese.

I have the Z1 camera for output connected to a Sony P190 for capture. I'm using firewire to connect the two cameras but the P190 is not "inputting" the Z1 footage. I've tried a different combination of choices from the Sony Z1 In/Out Rec menu (vcr hdv/dv, rec mode, component, i.link, downconvert, av/dv out).

I have problems accessing the links for pdf. manuels listed on this forum for Z1 camera.

Can anybody give me a "walk through" for the procedure? Many thanks!
Gregory Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 06:20 AM   #2
Wrangler

1. Set camera mode with the power switch in the lower position.

2. On the IN/OUT REC menu choose REC FORMAT HDV1080i

3. On the IN/OUT REC menu choose HDV->DV CONV ON

4. Assuming you want anamorphic 16:9, on the IN/OUT REC menu choose DOWNCONVERT SQUEEZE

5. On the OTHERS menu choose 50i for PAL or 60i for NTSC from the 50i/60i SEL menu.

6. Set VCR mode with the power switch in the upper position

7. On the IN/OUT REC menu choose VCR HDV/DV AUTO (this will only affect recording back into your camera however)

8. Confirm that the setting on IN/OUT REC for i.LINK CONV is ON.

To the best of my knowledge this is all that's needed. Make sure that camera you're trying to record to via firewire understands the correct Z1 format. If it's a PAL camera set the Z1 to 50i. If it's an NTSC camera, set the Z1 to 60i. Needless to say, the Z1 can't convert PAL to NTSC, so the other camera must match the format that you used when you shot the Z1 tape.

Hope this helps.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 06:29 AM   #3
Wrangler

Another thing - when you have everything properly set the LCD screen will say HDV1080i. The blue HDV light above button number 4 will be illuminated and the blue DV light next to the firewire (i.Link) port will be on.

Press the status check button and use the menu wheel to scroll to the OUTPUT screen. It should say i.LINK CONV: ON, DOWN CONVERT: SQUEEZE
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 04:39 PM   #4
Trustee

The Z1 Manual

The manual can be found here - in English.

http://www.pci-canada.com/Archive%20...%20English.pdf
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
1. Set camera mode with the power switch in the lower position.

2. On the IN/OUT REC menu choose REC FORMAT HDV1080i

3. On the IN/OUT REC menu choose HDV->DV CONV ON

4. Assuming you want anamorphic 16:9, on the IN/OUT REC menu choose DOWNCONVERT SQUEEZE

5. On the OTHERS menu choose 50i for PAL or 60i for NTSC from the 50i/60i SEL menu.

6. Set VCR mode with the power switch in the upper position

7. On the IN/OUT REC menu choose VCR HDV/DV AUTO (this will only affect recording back into your camera however)

8. Confirm that the setting on IN/OUT REC for i.LINK CONV is ON.

To the best of my knowledge this is all that's needed. Make sure that camera you're trying to record to via firewire understands the correct Z1 format. If it's a PAL camera set the Z1 to 50i. If it's an NTSC camera, set the Z1 to 60i. Needless to say, the Z1 can't convert PAL to NTSC, so the other camera must match the format that you used when you shot the Z1 tape.

Hope this helps.
Sorry to revive an old thread but in my struggles to get the I-Link down covert working on my Z1 I've been searching for answers.

Here's the problem... With the IN/OUT REC menu VCR HDV/DV set to AUTO and i.LINK CONV set to "ON" my camera's blue light next to the firewire (i.Link) port is illuminated for HDV output not DV. According to your checklist I should see the blue light for DV? WHAT AM I MISSING? Please anyone chime in. Thanks in advance for the help.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Go into your menu and go to where the two arrows are pointing left and right. Switch your iLink CONV to DV. You can also switch the component out to DV, if you're doing uncompressed.

heath
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

ps-The official US Sony Z1 manual link (pdf):

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...ls/hvr-z1u.pdf

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1