Viewfinder Improvement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 9th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Viewfinder Improvement

Hey Gang,

After 20 years of using broadcast cameras I am used to Black and White crisp CRT viewfinders. The little LCD viewfinder just does not work for me so I fired up the machine shop.

I had an old Ikegami viewfinder with a D-sub 9 pin connector that I modded to accept video in and +12 volts from a NP-1 battery. I made a small bracket that allows me to attach it to the front 1/4", 20 fitting on the Sony camera. Sharp as a tack, works like a charm. This message board won't let me paste a picture, but it is pretty cool.

On another subject I tried the Anton Bauer Stasis and even with a full sized brick it was still front heavy. I have a Frezzi brace on order and will try that. I saw a neat rig made by Peter Lisand, but it appears to be discontinued.

Thanks,
George
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi George,

Please send me your photos by email. I'll put 'em up.

Prefer to have large high-res, if okay by you.

Sounds like a great modification! Much appreciated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 03:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Chris,

The viewfinder looks great, but I have a noisy artifacts. I think it is from the color spectrum being passed on to the viewfinder.
I am sourcing a notch filter that will take out the 3.58Mhz Chroma information. I will report back. Otherwise it beats the pants out of an LCD.

Thanks for your interest,
George
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I know this isn't the topic of this message, but are you ok buddy? Check in with us if you can. Things are looking mighty bad in your neck of the woods.
John McGinley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1