DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   FX1 Firewire problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/49246-fx1-firewire-problem.html)

Jamie Francis August 12th, 2005 03:34 PM

FX1 Firewire problem

Okay.
I have a FX1, and I have captured HDV footage onto a PC with no problem, for a couple months. Today, I tried capturing and my system will not detect the camera. My cord and capture card seem to be fine, as I can use my old TRV 900 fine and the computer detects it with no problems. Anyone know what's going on? I have even tried both cameras on another system with the same results.

thanks
jamie

Chris Hurd August 12th, 2005 09:15 PM

I would hate to think that you've got a blown FW jack on your FX1, but here's how you can find out... try doing a DV to DV tape copy from one camcorder to the other. If it works, then you can rule out a problem with the FX1, which will at least help further isolate the cause of this issue.

Jamie Francis August 12th, 2005 09:22 PM

How do you do this?

Khoi Pham August 12th, 2005 09:49 PM

Yeah, I think I know why cuz I went thtough the same thing awhile back, I accidently turn on DV downconvert in the menu and so my NLE see it as DV camera and not HDV, as soon as I turn off DV downconvert, everything is fine again so check that and make sure that your camera is outputing HDV through the firewire.

Jamie Francis August 12th, 2005 10:13 PM

[Yeah, I think I know why cuz I went thtough the same thing awhile back, I accidently turn on DV downconvert in the menu and so my NLE see it as DV camera and not HDV, as soon as I turn off DV downconvert, everything is fine again so check that and make sure that your camera is outputing HDV through the firewire.]

I thought that might be the problem, but it tells me that "Changes can't be made, please unplug i.link cable". Yet I have everything out of the camera. ?

Khoi Pham August 12th, 2005 10:44 PM

That is a warning message, you will need to unplug the firewire cable, turn on the camera and go into the menu and turn off DV downconvert, then plug the firewire back, if you don't see the blue light switch to HDV then your NLE will not see it and it did not change.

Jamie Francis August 12th, 2005 11:05 PM

hmm...I do see the HDV blue light come on, but it's still not working.

Jamie Francis August 12th, 2005 11:49 PM

It's looking more and more like it is a blown firwire port. Is there any way to fix this? Can I capture using a different output?

Chris Hurd August 13th, 2005 11:36 AM

Hi Jamie, you'll need to send the FX1 into Sony authorized service for repair. The sooner you do this, the sooner you'll have a fully functional camera. Let us know how it goes!

Khoi Pham August 14th, 2005 05:24 PM

Well I guess I was wrong and I hope you find the fix. Good luck.