Keying with the Z1U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 19th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Unfortunately, the MPEG artifacts are still present when I downconvert to SD. I don't know why though. I figured it would smooth them out, but it doesn't.
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #17
New Boot

Has anyone tried bring the HDV into Vegas and then using Vegas to create an image sequence, which can be used for compositing in various apps. It seems that one could retain the HDV quality with this approach. It is much slower though.

Vincent Burnett
Vincent Burnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #18
Wrangler

I think that Daniel is saying that the "HDV quality" is the problem when it comes to keying. If that's the case then it doesn't matter how you process it.... garbage in = garbage out.

I haven't tried myself, so I just don't know, but a number of other people have made the same observation that HDV doesn't work so well for this kind of application.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Yes, that is correct.

The reason I started this investigation is that we have a Z1U at school. A friend of mine and I are going to be shooting a lightsaber duel for a school project. The whole thing will take place in photorealistic virtual sets. I have to be able to get perfect keys for this. It has to be seemless.

Now, I have found work arounds for DV, and I can get very clean keys with it. But with HDV, I just can't do anything to get decent keys.
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #20
New Boot

HDV color quality should be atleast as good as DV.
Vincent Burnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 06:21 AM   #21
Regular Crew

You would think. Now, HDV does look beautiful as native footage. But once you try to key it, it presents all sorts of problems. However, I have been able to get professional keys from DV. Take a look...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...rbrawlComp.jpg
Old August 20th, 2005, 06:37 AM   #22
Wrangler

When Adam Wilt reviewed the Z1 in DV magazine he said
Quote:
Single-frame or slow-mo playback reveals blocking or quilting errors, scattered and localized mosquito noise, offset spatial details, and posterization.

I wouldn't recommend HDV for compositing, slow-mo, or still frames, but overall the compression losses were less than I see in over-the-air or satellite HDTV broadcasts.
http://www.dv.com/reviews
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 06:43 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Broadway
You would think. Now, HDV does look beautiful as native footage. But once you try to key it, it presents all sorts of problems. However, I have been able to get professional keys from DV. Take a look...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...rbrawlComp.jpg
Have you tried working with the video uncompressed when you are adding effects? I think perhaps you may be compressing it twice to get your final output. You can tweak your compression settings or go uncompressed. While the video file will be massive, if it is uncompressed, it will save you the headache of trying to get your compression settings right to avoid artifacts.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #24
Regular Crew

No, I use uncompressed footage.
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1