To Repair Tape Mechanism or to Buy a HDD Recorder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 29th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Major Player

To Repair Tape Mechanism or to Buy a HDD Recorder?

Have had the tape mechanisms in my Z1 and my V1 go at the same time and they want $800 to replace them both.

And I got to thinking that I could get two of those new Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle Whatzits for less than that.

Not that that product would suit my work, but it made me think that maybe there is a cheap alternative to fixing the tape mechanisms.

Is there an equivalent priced HDD recorder that I could buy instead? Not one that does uncompressed like the HyperDeck, just a standard HDV recorder.

Thanks,
-- John

P.S. It's depressing reading the Z1 forum now - six or seven years ago, all the posts on here were high spirited, awe filled comments on the wondrous new cameras.

Now they're all about repairs and replacements...
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: To Repair Tape Mechanism or to Buy a HDD Recorder?

John.

By "go" do you mean total failure on each camera within a short time frame which suggests maybe a linked cause.

Which repair/service outfit are you using? Is that $800 each or $800 to repair the pair?
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: To Repair Tape Mechanism or to Buy a HDD Recorder?

Have you looked at the MRC1k? Don't know what the prices are like down there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1