Z1 worth CF recorder or not at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Z1 worth CF recorder or not

Hi Everyone.

I have a Z1 camera that I am doing some online videos with and some corporate. I would like to have a tapeless camera for convienence. Just wondering if the Z1 is worth buying a MRC1k unit or Datavideo DN-60, or would it be better to look at a new camera with tapeless, or are these devices worth using over proper tapeless. If i were to purchase a new camera, it would have to be in the $2000 max price range.

Comments?

Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Z1 worth CF recorder or not

Hi Mark,

I have a Z5 with the MRCK1 and I also use a Z1 with another MRCK1.

If you're happy with the picture from your Z1, go for the MRCK1 combo.

I like to know that I have two copies of the same clip, one on the CF card for quick download to PC and one on tape if anything should happen to the card.

There's nothing like peace of mind.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #3
Trustee

Mark, Peter describes what we all think - at first. Once you have confidence in good quality CF cards there'll be no going back.

Until we moved to EX1R we had three Z1/MRCK1 combos. Provided the tiny screen on the MRC1 is big enough I think it's a great camera combination. We used 12 Pretec 16Gb cards without a single failure.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 02:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Philip how did you mount the MRCK1 onto the Z1 - using standard Hot Shoe? My Z1s have the Sony wide angle adapter and the addition of the MRCK1 on the hot shoe will make for a mighty heavy front end - especially if I add an LED light!

Also as it connects via a 1394 cable how did you secure it? It would seem easy to slip out on the Z1 as you have to connect the cable in an upward position

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Ok So I've bought a Datavideo DN-60 and it's great - I just use the tape now as a backup - you can set it to power up as soon as you turn your camera on to save battery - it's very quick. I'm using Duracell X600 32GB CF cards - way cheaper than Sandisk and work fine - the only flaw is that the cable into the camera firewire comes loose but you'll have that whatever data recorder you use because of the positioning of the Z1 firewire socket - a little cable tie has sorted that out though!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Good to hear its working well.
Always been happy with my Z1 pics, I actually like the look of the old CCD sensors over CMOS but I'm a bit old school.
Phill Pendleton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1