ATV vibration causing HDV problem? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 30th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #106
Major Player

What you actually need is an Active vibration damping system.

If thats what you would like try contacting these guys, they usually manufacture "Isolation Tables" for optical labs etc

http://www.techmfg.com/

Anhar Hussain Miah
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #107
Wrangler

That doesn't seem practical for this sort of application.

Ken, there is the possibility that the single-section Glidecam arm may be the weakest link in the equation. Although as it has been pointed out, stabilizer arms don't deal with high frequency vibration as well as low, there is a possibility that other arms may dampen the enough of the effect to eliminate the problem. Obviously there is a cost attached to replacing this element. The new Smooth Shooter arm from Glidecam would be one possibility; the Flyer arm from Tiffen would likely be the most effective in this weight class.

It would obviously be a shame in that the system you have was working for you in the SD realm, but if you absolutely needed to go HD at the current time, it might be the least expensive component to examine.
Old August 30th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #108
Regular Crew

Douglas, I am sorry if I insulted you. I am more interested in science than belief. Science is based on doubt. I was expressing questions I felt where in line with my experience. When I expressed belief in this thread, I was shot down big time, and I apologized for my beliefs and went back to the pursuit of facts.

What does raw footage have to do with editing or workflow? How could I possibly get better footage by editing. Cut out the bad stuff? And in this situation, that's close to 80 to 90 percent. And de-interlacing HDV footage to make it work, seems counter productive. Also, I don't know if de-interlacing the HDV 1080i would help at all and is yet to be proven.

I'm about to make one final statement, then I'm out of here.

My experience says that my camera has a problem that limits it's use to totally vibration free mounts. It seems that some people are having some luck with their Sony HDV's in some applications like mine. Some others besides me are experiencing the same trouble.

Good luck to all of us... Ken E.
Ken Eberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #109
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Eberhard
I am evidently not the only one having these problems. See Carroll Lam's posting.
Be aware that the video I collected was NOT on any form of isolated mount - it was basically resting on the hood of the vehicle - so I am not surprised that the resulting video showed the effects of vibration.

As I stated in my prior posting, none of the facts presented to date can allow one to conclude that the FX1/Z1U have vibration problems any worse than other camcorders of similar resolution.

The fact that the PD170 did not show the same problem under the same conditions only proves that the PD170 is not as sensitive to vibration as the FX1/Z1U. Nothing else.

Expecting a camcorder with over twice the vertical resolution to respond the same under the same conditions as the lower resolution is not something on which one should rely.

This is certainly an interesting problem to investigate. As time permits I expect to try other forms of isolation to get better hood mount video that that illustrated in my posting.

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #110
Trustee

hm

it seems like some sorting out is required here, and Heath knew I have both FX1 and Glidecam V8, he asked me to join this thread.

Why not continue the examination here productively. I will offer my time and equipment to overcome this issue if everybody contributes ideas and suggestions.

I have FX1 and HC1, Glidecam V8. I don't have ATV, but I do have the mount for V8 to be mounted on cars and trucks and my company own Honda Stepwagon.

If everybody agree that the cooporation effort can be covered in my magazine articles aside from this thread, I don't mind spending time for this.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #111
Contributor

I think it would be great if you join in, Kaku. Especially if you can make some independent tests with similar setups.

I commend you to read my two posts at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....3&postcount=85

and

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....0&postcount=88

for what I believe to be a pretty good summary of the facts as known to date.

We welcome your inputs and any tests you can do to isolate the many variables in this situation.

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #112
Trustee

Carroll,

You already had them sorted out to start rolling. Very nice, Thank you.

I guess we can continue discussing about it in one of the threads.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1