Video Light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 9th, 2005, 02:22 AM   #1
Tourist

Video Light

Has anyone had experience using a video light on HDR-FX1?
Graham Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 12:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes, I'm using a Bescor 6V halogen lamp with diffuser and two independently operated bulbs, which I'm currently running at 10 and 20 watts. The 20 watt bulb is adequate for shots at close to medium range in poor lighting, but for subjects several yards away you might want something brighter. For shots in dim lighting without an on-camera light, I've found that using plenty of gain and occasionally lowering the shutter speed to 1/30 second are helpful.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

I saw this light at the WEVA expo. It's offered by Armatos. It looked pretty neat -- basically the same form factor and functionality as the Frezzi, but it uses Z1-compatible batteries with an integrated power tap so it runs off of the camera's battery.

http://www.armatosvideo.com/pDetails.asp?itemID=10654
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Graham

I've been using a PAG C6 this year with my FX1... it is only 20w but does make a difference for fill and even in complete darkenss with gain up to 12db it gives very good results... it has a day light filter built in and a long life battery, which while bitg and heavy give plenty of life. (I just pop it in a Domke belt pouch and wear around my waist...

Hope this helps

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #5
New Boot

I use a Photon Beard Hyperlight 471 fluorescent light. It's as powerful as you would want without blinding people, and very lightweight. There is an option to mount the battery on the light which in turn mounts on the hot-shoe of the camera but this does (unsurprisingly) make the whole rig very nose-heavy. Not a problem for me as I usually keep it on the tripod.
Graeme Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Brown
I use a Photon Beard Hyperlight 471 fluorescent light. It's as powerful as you would want without blinding people, and very lightweight. There is an option to mount the battery on the light which in turn mounts on the hot-shoe of the camera but this does (unsurprisingly) make the whole rig very nose-heavy. Not a problem for me as I usually keep it on the tripod.
Same here - gives a "soft" light that is more flattering on the talent and is dimmable over a good range. Battery life is very very good.
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #7
Trustee

"I've been using a PAG C6 this year with my FX1... it is only 20w but does make a difference for fill and even in complete darkenss with gain up to 12db it gives very good results... it has a day light filter built in and a long life battery, which while bitg and heavy give plenty of life. (I just pop it in a Domke belt pouch and wear around my waist..."

Gareth, in case you don't know, you can get a 30w bulb to be used in the C6. And I agree it is a great system. I purchased an extra battery pack and the clips for the barn doors with the filter gels.

Michael
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:08 AM   #8
Regular Crew

PAG C6 Replacement Bulb Resource

Howdy,

I just received my PAG C6 light from Adorama today and can't wait to use it. Thanks Gareth and Michael for sharing the info about your experience with the unit. Especially the input regarding about raising the gain in low light conditions.

I'd like to add something also regarding the PAG C6. The replacement bulbs are very expensive at the major video supply outlets. Here is an alternative resource http://replacementlightbulbs.com/lampESB.html . for purchasing bulbs.

The 20 watt halogen bulb that came with my C6 is a Philips Focusline Type # 7388, if that will help in your search. Does anyone still have the box that their 30 watt halogen bulb came in? I''d like to get the model # or type # of that bulb for a search. Thanks

I do have a problem removing the filters that are adjacent to the Barn Doors. There aren't any instructions for removing the filters and changing with others. I called PAG in the U.K this morning ( they are very professional and helpful), and they are faxing me some sort of sketch on the proper removal of the filters without breaking them. I busted the diffuser filter trying to remove mine this morning. Has anyone had that probelem with their PAG C6?

Regards and happy shooting,

John Astad
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:34 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Astad
Howdy,

I do have a problem removing the filters that are adjacent to the Barn Doors. There aren't any instructions for removing the filters and changing with others. I called PAG in the U.K this morning ( they are very professional and helpful), and they are faxing me some sort of sketch on the proper removal of the filters without breaking them. I busted the diffuser filter trying to remove mine this morning. Has anyone had that probelem with their PAG C6?

Regards and happy shooting,

John Astad
John thanks for the feedback on the bulbs for the C6 system.

Whay are you trying to remove the filters that are adjacent to the barn doors?

Just so you know, I haven't ever removed the filters that are adjacent to the barn doors.

What I use for filters are the PAG softlight diffuser kit, which has filter holders that attach to the barn doors and 8 gels (softlight, Full CT Blue, Half CT Blue, Orange) that attach to the filter holders. here is the link to them below.

http://www.adorama.com/PG9983.html?s...20c6&item_no=1

I ususally order bulbs at once, and they do last quite a while. I have 2-3 30 watt and 4 20 watt currently. They can be a bit on the expensive side at $14-15, but a drop in the bucket compared to the unit itself.
As for the 30w bulb, it is most likely this one:
Phillips #5761

http://replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp5761.html
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I use: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=219511&is=REG because I already had the battery pack.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:44 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Reasonable priced halogen bulbs

Thanks for the model # for the C6 30 watt halogen bulb. Instead of purchasing at the major video supply venders I can shop around locally.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:03 PM   #12
Regular Crew

i ve been using the armatos/ianero for about 5 months now.
The concept to use one battery for the cam and the light is perfect.

I bought it at ibc .when I started shooting with it I had a problem with the battery. I must say that aftersales support was great.
They send me a new one instantly without any charge. that s what i call true customer support.
thnx ianero!
Jane Snijders is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1