DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Two camera shoot with Z1 and PD150 or PD170 in SD mode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/51209-two-camera-shoot-z1-pd150-pd170-sd-mode.html)

Augusto Manuel September 16th, 2005 11:59 AM

Two camera shoot with Z1 and PD150 or PD170 in SD mode

I am curious if someone here has done a two camera shoot in SD mode with the Z1 and PD150 (or PD170). How did they compare in SD mode? I am not interested really in an individual technical comparison of each model but how well they can match in SD mode for a two camera shoot, one as A camera the other as B camera.

Since the Z1 has more controls, it can be customized better to match a PD-150. If so, does anyone here have tried to match the Z1 to a PD150/PD170 in SD mode in a real shoot environment? What settings needed to be modified in the Z1 to match the default settings of PD-150/PD170?

Boyd Ostroff September 16th, 2005 12:42 PM

If you're shooting in 16:9 then the Z1 is going to be very noticeably better than the PD-150 or 170. In 4:3 mode I suspect you can get a reasonably good match.

Augusto Manuel September 16th, 2005 02:47 PM

Thank you Boyd but,

I am more concern with other variables such as colormetry, sharpness level, gamma. I would like to know if someone really has tried to match those cameras in an actual shoot.

I also have my own ideas on how they may look but have not actually try to match them yet. I am assuming both will be in 4x3 since I know the Z1 is a native 16x9 and would be vastly superior to the 16x9 of the PD150/PD170. We all know that.

I guess I will have to do an A - B comparison with my 8044 monitor. But would like to have a framework to start the matching process. My shoot is tomorrow. Will not have a paintbox on hand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
If you're shooting in 16:9 then the Z1 is going to be very noticeably better than the PD-150 or 170. In 4:3 mode I suspect you can get a reasonably good match.

Lou Bruno September 18th, 2005 11:56 AM

My FX-1 has MORE PUNCH in the picture than my VX2100. The VX2100 gives slightly more detail BUT I bring up the detail on the FX-1 to #14.

When comparing both cameras, the FX-1 is the clear winner for picture quality.......realistic looking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augusto Manuel
Thank you Boyd but,

I am more concern with other variables such as colormetry, sharpness level, gamma. I would like to know if someone really has tried to match those cameras in an actual shoot.

I also have my own ideas on how they may look but have not actually try to match them yet. I am assuming both will be in 4x3 since I know the Z1 is a native 16x9 and would be vastly superior to the 16x9 of the PD150/PD170. We all know that.

I guess I will have to do an A - B comparison with my 8044 monitor. But would like to have a framework to start the matching process. My shoot is tomorrow. Will not have a paintbox on hand.

Boyd Ostroff September 18th, 2005 01:13 PM

Augusto: now that your shoot is finished maybe you can share what you've learned on this topic for the benefit of others?

Augusto Manuel September 19th, 2005 12:02 AM

Sure. I actually shot with the PD170 and my Z1. I also found like Lou that the PD170 appears sharper than the Z1 when both in default detail level. Actually, the PD170 at first appeared to have a more punchy image. I thought I was looking at the image of the Z1 at first instead of the PD170 because the picture was better somehow.

I did not white balanced but run both on tungsten. This was just a personal preference for this particular shoot. I increased the color level on the Z1 to +3, the detail level to 13 on the Z1 and switch off Black Stretch. The detail level in the PD170 seems a bit exagerated by Sony. Switching off black stretch was the key to match both cameras in that particular shoot since the blacks on the PD170 seemed a tiny bit crushed in general and it does not have a way to 'stretch' it like the Z1.

After doing so, it was a close match (not perfect) and at that point the Z1 had a slightly more natural look. The PD170 has a bit of that sharper electronic video look which in the Z1 is less pronounced. (Z1 with no cinetone, recording normal at 60i)

I tried matching both cameras using a Sony 8044Q monitor, switching from A to B source, using the same monitor for better accuracy. I did not have to play with hue in the Z1 but it is a beauty that this is available.

I also tried them both in low light later. The Z1 had a much cleaner and usable image even in 18 db. I still think unlike some people that the Z1 is good enough in very low light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Augusto: now that your shoot is finished maybe you can share what you've learned on this topic for the benefit of others?