Two camera shoot with Z1 and PD150 or PD170 in SD mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 16th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Two camera shoot with Z1 and PD150 or PD170 in SD mode

I am curious if someone here has done a two camera shoot in SD mode with the Z1 and PD150 (or PD170). How did they compare in SD mode? I am not interested really in an individual technical comparison of each model but how well they can match in SD mode for a two camera shoot, one as A camera the other as B camera.

Since the Z1 has more controls, it can be customized better to match a PD-150. If so, does anyone here have tried to match the Z1 to a PD150/PD170 in SD mode in a real shoot environment? What settings needed to be modified in the Z1 to match the default settings of PD-150/PD170?
Augusto Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

If you're shooting in 16:9 then the Z1 is going to be very noticeably better than the PD-150 or 170. In 4:3 mode I suspect you can get a reasonably good match.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you Boyd but,

I am more concern with other variables such as colormetry, sharpness level, gamma. I would like to know if someone really has tried to match those cameras in an actual shoot.

I also have my own ideas on how they may look but have not actually try to match them yet. I am assuming both will be in 4x3 since I know the Z1 is a native 16x9 and would be vastly superior to the 16x9 of the PD150/PD170. We all know that.

I guess I will have to do an A - B comparison with my 8044 monitor. But would like to have a framework to start the matching process. My shoot is tomorrow. Will not have a paintbox on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
If you're shooting in 16:9 then the Z1 is going to be very noticeably better than the PD-150 or 170. In 4:3 mode I suspect you can get a reasonably good match.

Last edited by Augusto Manuel; September 16th, 2005 at 06:01 PM.
Augusto Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #4
Go Cycle

My FX-1 has MORE PUNCH in the picture than my VX2100. The VX2100 gives slightly more detail BUT I bring up the detail on the FX-1 to #14.

When comparing both cameras, the FX-1 is the clear winner for picture quality.......realistic looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto Manuel
Thank you Boyd but,

I am more concern with other variables such as colormetry, sharpness level, gamma. I would like to know if someone really has tried to match those cameras in an actual shoot.

I also have my own ideas on how they may look but have not actually try to match them yet. I am assuming both will be in 4x3 since I know the Z1 is a native 16x9 and would be vastly superior to the 16x9 of the PD150/PD170. We all know that.

I guess I will have to do an A - B comparison with my 8044 monitor. But would like to have a framework to start the matching process. My shoot is tomorrow. Will not have a paintbox on hand.
Old September 18th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #5
Wrangler

Augusto: now that your shoot is finished maybe you can share what you've learned on this topic for the benefit of others?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Sure. I actually shot with the PD170 and my Z1. I also found like Lou that the PD170 appears sharper than the Z1 when both in default detail level. Actually, the PD170 at first appeared to have a more punchy image. I thought I was looking at the image of the Z1 at first instead of the PD170 because the picture was better somehow.

I did not white balanced but run both on tungsten. This was just a personal preference for this particular shoot. I increased the color level on the Z1 to +3, the detail level to 13 on the Z1 and switch off Black Stretch. The detail level in the PD170 seems a bit exagerated by Sony. Switching off black stretch was the key to match both cameras in that particular shoot since the blacks on the PD170 seemed a tiny bit crushed in general and it does not have a way to 'stretch' it like the Z1.

After doing so, it was a close match (not perfect) and at that point the Z1 had a slightly more natural look. The PD170 has a bit of that sharper electronic video look which in the Z1 is less pronounced. (Z1 with no cinetone, recording normal at 60i)

I tried matching both cameras using a Sony 8044Q monitor, switching from A to B source, using the same monitor for better accuracy. I did not have to play with hue in the Z1 but it is a beauty that this is available.

I also tried them both in low light later. The Z1 had a much cleaner and usable image even in 18 db. I still think unlike some people that the Z1 is good enough in very low light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Augusto: now that your shoot is finished maybe you can share what you've learned on this topic for the benefit of others?
Augusto Manuel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1