The Best Is Yet To Come..(Maybe) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 18th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The Best Is Yet To Come..(Maybe)

I've had my HVR-Z1U for only a few weeks. Around about the time of purchase, I read somewhere of the experience of another owner concerning battery life. He said he was happy getting 7 hrs out of an NP-F970 battery. The one that came with my camcorder is an after market version and when it charged up to 7 hrs use showing up on the charger, I was happy. After 2 more charges that dropped to 6 hrs 33mins, so I fugured it better to get another battery than get caught.
I bought 2 new aftermarket batteries of the 970 type. The website said some batteries were fully charged ex factory so I checked both of mine. They showed just over 50% charge and a usage of LCD screen 277 mins and viewfinder 299 mins..
One never really knows what are the real facts in advertising, but when I put one battery on the charger, it showed a battery life of 40hrs +. That was over half an hour ago and now shows 47hrs 41 mins.
I wonder what the real figures are..??? lol. Guess I'll have to wait and see.
The website is Australian.
John Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: The Best Is Yet To Come..(Maybe)

My experience with aftermarket batteries and Sony camera's is that the read out for remaining battery life was never correct, they lasted a bit less then the original but if I wanted to know exactly how long I had left I needed to use an original one.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Can anyone tell me the best way of discharging a battery to recycle/recharge it, please? I am lothe to just run the camera as a way of discharging it
John Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think that's the best way. You don't have to run tape, just the cam.

Unless you have another device, like a deck or light, that uses the same batt.
Old May 1st, 2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

OK Adam. Thanks for that. I don't have any other gear that uses that type of battery.
John Mahoney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1