DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   HandsOn HDV... shot in Cineframe24? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/51654-handson-hdv-shot-cineframe24.html)

James Sarte September 24th, 2005 03:37 AM

HandsOn HDV... shot in Cineframe24?

I just received my copy of this great DVD, but I noticed that all of the footage of the instructor looks like it was shot in Cineframe24. If so, then the CF24 footage doesn't look half as bad as I thought. Can anyone confirm this?

Augusto Manuel September 24th, 2005 10:54 AM

Are you sure is not CF 30 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Sarte
I just received my copy of this great DVD, but I noticed that all of the footage of the instructor looks like it was shot in Cineframe24. If so, then the CF24 footage doesn't look half as bad as I thought. Can anyone confirm this?

James Sarte September 24th, 2005 05:51 PM

No, it really looks like CF24 to me.

Bill Pryor September 24th, 2005 06:56 PM

Most people have been slamming the CF24 mode with never having seen anything properly shot with it. On a 20" broadcast monitor, it looks pretty good. I don't know how it would hold up on a big screen. Other than the motion judder, most people who saw the footage I saw couldn't tell any difference in the shots.

James Sarte September 24th, 2005 07:04 PM

Hi Bill,

Well, I've been watching the DVD on my 50" Samsung DLP and it looks fantastic (even for DV). I played back some HDV footage I shot earlier this morning though from the Z1U directly to the Samsung, and I was stunned. Even CF24 under good conditions looks awesome.

Bill Pryor September 25th, 2005 10:19 AM

You speak heresy, James. Don't you know you're supposed to trash the CF24 mode sight unseen. Shooting something and judging for yourself! Heresy, pure heresy!

Bjorn Moren September 26th, 2005 01:45 AM

Bill, it all depends on what kind of look the photographer is after. Me, I would never use Cineframe if I didnt have to. Perhaps only as an "effect". I like the fluidity of motion that rapid images can give me. Have you ever tried to do a fast pan in Cineframe?

John Jackman September 27th, 2005 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
You speak heresy, James. Don't you know you're supposed to trash the CF24 mode sight unseen.

With all due respect, Bill, I've shot in it and tested it thoroughly and it doesn't meet my standards. The irregular jerkiness is annoying, the motion blur isn't right and the vertical res is reduced. For 24p look, I strongly recommend shooting in 50i and deinterlacing in post.

Tom Roper September 27th, 2005 09:44 PM

I can't comment on CF 24 because I haven't seen it, but agree with the last poster that 50i sure looks nice, at least on the mallard clip at Vasst. It was filmic, and the motion of the duck rotating on the surface of the water was continuous.

I really don't even know what CF24 is, but from the controversy, I think I can surmise it starts out as something else unlike the 50i which remains native to its frame rate.

The only exception I would take about John's comment above would be about the need for deinterlacing it in post. I mean, why bother? It played fine for me on the AVel LinkPlayer2 at 50i. Since it's output to the DLP projector at native 720p, the AVel (Sigma EM8620L processor) is nicely doing the deinterlace in real time. I just let it play back the native m2t stream.

I have the JVC GR-HD1 which is 720p, but the observations about workflow being so horrible for 1080i weren't a problem at all for me.

I'm giving strong consideration to the Z1U over the FX1 based on the usefulness of 50i alone. It doesn't matter to me whether it's a pal country or ntsc though. HD is HD.

Due diligence dictates at the price point of the Z1U that I give consideration to the GY-HD100 image also, although the large form factor and poor battery life turns me off.