New Music Video shot on Sony HDR-FX1E and 35mm adapter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:37 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Hi again Anhar,
I have lookad at the video you mentioned, and as I had assumed, there is quite a lot of artificial in camera sharpening going on there. No offence, this is nice work, but this isn't really a look I could get away with. Please take a look at this JPG for further explanation.

http://www.pixelloft.com/sharpening.jpg
Nicholas Bartleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #17
Major Player

True, I guess its all a matter of taste... kind of like Marmite!! ("you either love it or hate it", that was a stroke of advertising genius)

Anhar
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Nicholas,

Enjoyed your video except for the lack of lip-sync. Perhaps I am getting too old, but too distracting for me with so much singing taking place. I know you would have to shoot lots and lots of takes to cover your cutting, but perhaps could have had less 'singing' to avoid this.

You are really showing how good the FX1/Z1 can be. Well done. Appreciate your comments on the artifact free movements. Many of us seem to be obsessed with this 'problem' that many do not suffer. :)

And your comments on turning off the sharpness is useful. What do you mean by 'off'? Zero? Or something lower than default? Adam Wilt made same comment in his online DV seminar, but he was still using a setting mid-range or thereabouts.
Old October 5th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #19
Major Player

Looks great
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #20
Major Player

Looks great. I can't stand Rap and still watched it all the way through. Good work.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #21
Tourist

Richard - i guess Nicholas means 0. However i think its best to just try different settings and see whats best in different circumstances. I agree with your comment about getting obsessed with the possibility of artifacts. All cameras have their downpoints which we have to get around - this goes back to Nicholas's central point earlier that a good understanding of cinematography, production and post production techniques are key.

Nicholas - loved the video ! To me the look you create in this plus 'The Riddle' is spot on. As to your dolly offer - yes please post some pics !
Rhys Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi guys, thanks for your comments, i'm glad that most of you seem to like the video. I did turn the sharpness down to 0 and have found with some careful post sharpness using a plugin such as sapphire for after effectsyou can regain the sharpness lost with dialing the in camera sharpness down, but without the addition of those horrible lines. The addition of some slight noise removal should see to any grain created by the slight sharpening.

I have due to comments on the lens flares, re graded the beginning sequence and sharpened up the video slightly, which has worked well on a subtle level i think, anyway, the new one is uploaded, but it is much the same.

I totally appreciate your point on cutting and finding other, narrative based shots to make the piece more interesting, and this is something which was restricted due to time and budget really, but i will ensure that my next piece has a stronger narrative, and perhaps not quite so much singing. Hopefully this will make it a bit more interesting, not just visually but on a more intelectual level.

I will try to take some pics of the dolly and get them posted next week if i have a moment.

Thanks again guys for your comments.

Last edited by Nicholas Bartleet; October 6th, 2005 at 01:45 PM.
Old October 6th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #23
Major Player

Man this looks wonderful.

I love seeing what the FX1 can do, but then I feel bad that I'm not doing anything near as nice with mine. ;)

And I'd love to hear more specifics about your adapter.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #24
Major Player

all of my thumbs and fingers up

Very well done. That's all I can say. I watched the Riddle too. Nice work
Daniel Rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #25
Trustee

How did you build your follow focus system? I use Nikons with mini35 and am looking to do the same thing.

Are your lights fresnel or open face? I didn't recognize them from the behind the scenes pics.

Many thanks.

Dennis

Last edited by Dennis Hingsberg; October 8th, 2005 at 02:37 PM.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #26
Major Player

I may have missed this on your site, but did you do "The Riddle" with the same gear?

--looking forward to seeing those dolly pics
Daniel Rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #27
Trustee

The behind the scenes pictures show a Canon.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:11 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Hello

How many cameras did you use to shoot this with? How did you get all the different angle shots? Did you pause the video then move the camera into a different position?

Thanks
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Thankyou everybody for all of your comments, its much appreciated. I did dhoot the riddle on an XL1s.
My follow focus system was built using a bevelled gearbox, with a handel attached to one end and a gear attached to the other. This is attached to the support rods.
HERE IS THE SECRET EVEYBODY WANTS TO KNOW
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...3541&doy=11m10
THIS IS YOUR MAIN COMPONENT
As for pics of the dolly, really sorry i havn't uploaded any yet, ive been really busy, desparatly trying to get more work Arrrgh! Sorry, i will try and get some this week.

Thanks again Guys
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #30
New Boot

Very nice work

The video looks great, the "sharpness", the focus depth is just perfect.
I enjoyed watching it. Thanks for your work.

Can you share some information on where I could find some info about 35mm adapters. in terms of what they are and how it's built ?
Viktor Bludov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1