HDR-FX1 Good Long Term Investment? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 6th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #16
Contributor

It's so easy and cheap to do the 24p thing in editing now that I would speculate the answer is no.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Just aquired the FX1

Hi guys. I went ahead and invested in the FX1. Alot of learning to do a few days before an event this coming Sunday. Any quick tips or pointers for the new equipment? Thanks!
Christopher Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #18
Contributor

RTFM!!!

Set up the camera on your tripod, take a bnc out to a properly adjusted professional monitor, and become one with the manual.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #19
Regular Crew

One with the Manual!

Ok sounds good. I've got the manual here in the office to read during my slow/down time. At least the manual doesnt seem too intimidating. Thanks!
Christopher Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #20
New Boot

HDR-FX1 Good Long Term Investment?

Check this forum
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=42973
Very useful if you are in a hurry
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Cruz
Any quick tips or pointers for the new equipment? Thanks!
A few things:

- Note that various important connectors are hidden all over the camera body under small covers: for example, the Lan-C connector and headphone jack are just above the record button on the top right side of the camera.

- Also note the three-position auto/manual switch on the lower left rear of the camera: forward for full auto, center for making manual adjustments, and rear to lock manual adjustments. Set it in the center and you've got the most flexibility.
- Understand how various manual settings work on this camera, which has apparently caused confusion for some people. In particular note that the gain can adjust itself unless you set it to a particular value, so even when you have shutter speed and iris set the camera may try to compensate for changes in lighting conditions. If you want full control of exposure, you have to push all three of the buttons on the side of the camera for iris, gain and shutter.

- Read the manual regarding white balance and be sure you know which buttons to push in what order to set this. (I found the instructions confusing until I'd gone over this a few times.)

- Read the section of the manual about Picture Profiles, and note that this is where you can set things like AE compensation (+/-).

- Test the "backlight" button to see what you think of the results before using this on a job. I found it to be much too hot for my tastes, and have decided to use manual exposure instead for backlit situations.

- If you want to see audio meters displayed, open the small cover around the volume knob on the back of the camera and switch from auto to manual audio. Alternatively, there's a button to push to get meters temporarily displayed across the screen along with other information, but then you can't really see the image being recorded.

- Don't forget to close the lens hood shutter when you're not using the camera, to protect the front of the lens and keep sun out.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #22
Regular Crew

thanks

Thanks Kevin and Jose for the info!

For you FX1 owners...can you tell me if your camera has different paint finishes on the tape cover/side of the handle, and the left side of the camera (barrel where the buttons are)? Mine seem to be a little on the rought side. Lemme know! Thanks
Christopher Cruz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1