Z1 - Hidden DC Input at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 28th, 2018, 12:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Z1 - Hidden DC Input

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased another HVR-Z1U, however it did not come with a power supply. Instead of buying another one with DC battery connector, I tried to use a DSR-150 power supply in the "hidden" DC input jack. It powers on the camera, and I get video from the camera for a few seconds before the "Use InfoLithium Battery Pack" warning message comes on, then it shuts down. Is there any way to disable the warning and camera shutdown, or do you absolutely have to use the dummy battery dc adapter? Is there an actual reason why Sony disabled it for normal use, or is it just one of the "Sony" features?

Thanks
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Z1 - Hidden DC Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Chafe View Post
Hi Everyone,

do you absolutely have to use the dummy battery dc adapter?
Yes

Quote:
Is there an actual reason why Sony disabled it for normal use, or is it just one of the "Sony" features?

Thanks
I don’t know what you’re doing but that device is designed to charge a battery. It sounds like it stops supplying power once it detects it’s charged.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2018, 09:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply.

Actually it does the same thing with our without a battery in it. It is-very frustrating that the HDR-FX1 doe not have a screw locking the dc adapter power and can actually be use with a regular Sony pro-sumer power adapter and not have to use the DK-415 adapter that take up the battery slot. Other than the audio and a few extras, aren't these the same cameras?

Obviously different enough I guess.
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2018, 05:28 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You can buy a generic power adapter off the internet. The adapter plugs into that “hidden” port and not the battery slot. You should only use adapters designed for your camera. At best they won’t work at worst you could damage the camera.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 02:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Gotcha.

Many Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1