Differences with Z1E? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 8th, 2005, 10:14 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Differences with Z1E?

I'm off to Turkey next month and hoping to supplement with a second Z1 acquired locally to help document an event.

Will a Z1E European version include the ability to shoot in 1080/60i?

Any functional differences to be aware of?
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 05:34 PM   #2
Major Player

The Z1U can do both PAL and NTSC, so IF there is a Z1UE...I have no idea what would be different...
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Will a Z1E European version include the ability to shoot in 1080/60i?
Yes.

I suspect the 'E' model is just a way to control warranties, or something: i.e. so Sony in Europe don't have to support warranty claims for Z1s bought abroad.
Mark Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

HDV-Z1E - thanks

Thanks Mark - appreciate the confirmation.

SB
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #5
Wrangler

Well there are some conflicting opinions on this.... see the following thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45657

However, I can confirm that the Z1U shoots PAL that behaves as expected....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Well there are some conflicting opinions on this.... see the following thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45657

However, I can confirm that the Z1U shoots PAL that behaves as expected....
I have been surprised to never see the obvious reason as to why the Z1 variants exist...

The power supplies of various countries around the planet are more variable than the PAL/NTSC zones, and the plug types also vary. DC/AC, 240/250 Volt, amps, two pin, three pin... the variations need to be accounted for, or your U.S. bought Z1 might just get fried when you try to power it up via mains.

There's a good in-built insurance policy with the Z1; which unlike the FX-1, doesn't charge the battery through the camera. You only fry the battery with the Z1, if you get too creative with a foreign power supply!!

With the FX-1 you'd need adapters, possibly transformer... and plenty of pre-knowledge about the power supply of countries you intend using your camera in!!
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #7
Major Player

Absolutely the Z1E will shoot 60i (plus all cineframe variants) in both HDV, DVCAM and MiniDV as well as 50i, in fact our Z1Es arrive set to 60i.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:04 AM   #8
Wrangler

Yeah, with the Z1 all you would need for is a different power cord for the battery charger. Personally, I've decided to never plug mine directly into line power. Look back in this forum for a number of reports of people who had to send their FX1 in for repairs after plugging it in. I'd rather not risk that myself!

When I was in Argentina I just used a simple plug adaptor to connect the charger to the wall outlet. Almost all new electronic equipment can handle a full range of voltages and doesn't require a transformer.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Look back in this forum for a number of reports of people who had to send their FX1 in for repairs after plugging it in. I'd rather not risk that myself!
Okay, but I wasn't risking anything either. My Z1U still needed to go back to the Sony Professional repair center for a viewfinder screen that stopped working on 10/28. I still haven't gotten it back. Things happen anyway, sometimes beyond our control.
:-(
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1