Rental camera in Istanbul? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 8th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Rental camera in Istanbul?

Anyone got a line on a Z1, lighting, location manager/fixer in Istanbul?
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Istanbul is the biggest centre of film, TV and Commercial production in Turkey, think LA in the USA, Toronto in Canada, so istanbul is for Turkey. There are loads of good rental houses and production companies there, but it's also a little like the wild west as companies go in and out of business very quickly and there are cowboy/fly by night operations there.

Another thing is you might find that people who have such kit are operators/lighting directors themselves and will rent themselves our as crew and bring the equipment along with them. My wife (Turkish herself) rented an XL1 from one company and basically had to hire a "technician" (who was basically little more than an intern) as well, though prices as they are in Turkey it wasn't much, and she had someone to carry the box and tripod!

You might try Filma-Cass (http://www.filmacass.com.tr) one old and established company - if they can't help you they probably can send you to someone who can.

Full disclosure, I haven't worked in Turkey for a couple of years, so I don't know how far HDV has penetrated, but I'm sure the kit is there. I know there's been a lot of investment in HDCAM kit there amongst the Prod Cos, but we'll see.

Lighting wise, in my experience Orion are a good company. (http://www.orionist.com/eng/)
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dylan - thanks!

Dylan, thanks indeed for the referrals. Will follow up with them.

Now, for one good location manager/fixer...

SB
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 06:30 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I was in Cappodocia (middle of Turkey) earlier this year. I happened upon an Israeli film crew using two Z1s. Boy, were they (the cameras) beaten up! Looked as if they were 3 years old rather than 3 months, so beware rented equipment. The crew said the Z1 was the first cam to replace their trusted DVX100As, and they were delighted with them.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #5
Trustee

Ooh Cappadocia is one nice place...
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1