FX1 24P/30P/60i at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 13th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #1
Major Player

FX1 24P/30P/60i

I'm planning on buying an FX1 for myself for Christmas...and some people on this forum said they didn't like the 24 frame mode on the FX1 and didn't really explain why. I absolutely love the film look and want to turn my video into 24p, I have Pinnacle Liquid Edition ($50 through work) and Combustion3 so I don't know what the best way to acheive 24fps, I could buy the FX1E which would get me 25fps and i could slow it down 4%, but in your opinions...what would be the best way to attain a 24P look...my budget is about 3500 so I can't buy the HVX200 yet (planning on selling the FX1 sometime next summer to upgrade...)
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #2
Wrangler

Here's an article by Adam Wilt that explains the cineframe 24 mode on the FX1: http://www.adamwilt.com/HDV/cineframe.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If Your budget is "only" 3.500 and 24p is what You want, then I would recommend to buy a Panasonic AG-DVX100B or a Canon XL2 and not a Sony.

Last edited by Robert Niemann; November 14th, 2005 at 05:32 AM.
Robert Niemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Do you really need HD? If not, go with the DVX100B or the XL2. Those are the 2 choices that really matter.
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #5
Major Player

HD is a primary importance to me, I've tried the XL1S/XL2, right next to a Z1U(yeah I know, its not an FX1 but from what I hear they're basically the same) and the Z1U looked far better than the XL2 on an HD display, which is what I'll be showing my video on. I would love to convert 60i to 24P or at least 30P, but that isn't a priority for me. If anyone has any CF24 or CF30 video online, I'd love to see it. I was just wondering if there was a good way of getting a good progressive image out of interlaced video.
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Theoretically, can't you essentially get 60P video when downconverting from HDV to SD?
Old November 14th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #7
Wrangler

DVFilm Maker will do the conversion: http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #8
Wrangler

you should do a search on cineframe24, if you want to understand why the mock 24 fps on an FX-1 isn't really mock 24 fps. i think it has been covered. you have to see it to really understand why the in-camera option won't really work as a substitute for a 24 fps. it doesn't handle motion cleanly. people here have described it as "stuttery," which is close. it almost has an underwater or dream-like quality, not suitable for your average real-time usage. i think it was adam wilt who described it as more of a special effect, which seems accurate to me. it probably can be put to some interesting uses in its own right. i kind of liked playing with it, personally. as everyone here as suggested, there are plenty of post-production ways to get the 24fps effect, so it shouldn't be a deal-breaker, because there are so many things about this camera which are fabulous for its price point....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Here is the link to Adam J. Wilt's explanation of the Cineframe modes: http://www.adamwilt.com/HDV/cineframe.html.
Robert Niemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #10
Wrangler

Hmm... I think there's an echo in here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Here's an article by Adam Wilt that explains the cineframe 24 mode on the FX1: http://www.adamwilt.com/HDV/cineframe.html
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
DVFilm Maker will do the conversion: http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/
On this page, http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/#AVsync (scroll down a bit to the table) I noticed there seems to be a potential problem of audio syncing with the footage on some cameras? Does the FX1 sync perfectly?
Chad Huntley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #12
Regular Crew

CF 24 vs CF 24p

A lot of people on this board are "professionals" that eventually make their videos rest as film. However before it gets to film, they will not let it rest.

I see this "24cf" argument over and over again and people never say whether they are just using it for home video or are they going to make their videos into film.

To those destined for film - Not everyone will make their videos into film.

To those destined for video/dvd - who cares. Whatever you like. 24cf achieves the "effect" although its not technically correct.
Allen Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 06:38 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Hayes
I'm planning on buying an FX1 for myself for Christmas...and some people on this forum said they didn't like the 24 frame mode on the FX1 and didn't really explain why. I absolutely love the film look and want to turn my video into 24p, I have Pinnacle Liquid Edition ($50 through work) and Combustion3 so I don't know what the best way to acheive 24fps, I could buy the FX1E which would get me 25fps and i could slow it down 4%, but in your opinions...what would be the best way to attain a 24P look...my budget is about 3500 so I can't buy the HVX200 yet (planning on selling the FX1 sometime next summer to upgrade...)
Noah, you have to be kidding! I think the nature of the CF24 mode is one of the most argued over, picked over subjects on this forum. Do a search and you'll find plenty.

Basically is comes down to three reasons:
  1. it inserts a pulldown rather than recording progressively.
  2. the frames are made from irregularly timed fields so motion is not smooth (pans can be particularly ugly).
  3. it reduces vertical resolution.
I would suggest you buy the FX1 and find a software de-interlacer for your NLE.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #14
Major Player

...also, imho , cf30 looks pretty nice, if your're only going to dvd. Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #15
Major Player

60P from HDV 60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Utley
Theoretically, can't you essentially get 60P video when downconverting from HDV to SD?

I haven't seen this question definitively answered yet. It seems like a really important one, if anyone's interested in the super smooth slo-mo that 60p would yield.

Daniel
www.stock20.com
Daniel Rudd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1