FX1 Smooth Zoom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 16th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #1
Tourist

FX1 Smooth Zoom

The HDV info column that compares the FX1 to the Z1U states that the FX1 does not have smooth zoom. Does that mean that there are incremental steps in the zoom speed that are noticable??

I use a DSR-300 with an excellent canon lens now. A smooth zoom is a deciding factor in my next camcorder purchase.
Thanks
Ray Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Trustee

I use both models and I haven't noticed a difference in the zoom smoothness between them.
Mind you, the smoothest result can be had by using the manual zoom ring...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #3
Wrangler

I have a Z1 and haven't used an FX1, but I wonder.... does the FX1 have the option to set high and low zoom speeds in the menu like the Z1?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Zoom speed

Yes. The FX-1 also has a zoom speed setting. I like 8 for a "fast" zoom and a 6 for a "slow" or a suspenseful zoom in..

If you used 6, you know what I mean. It "creeps" up to the subject. I've not used anything slower than 6 since Im not patient.
Allen Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #5
Major Player

I use my Canon zoom controller and the different speed settings on it. Works great.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1