DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Black Stretch Feature? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/54817-black-stretch-feature.html)

Paul Chun November 22nd, 2005 12:47 PM

Black Stretch Feature?

Am I missing something? I can't find the black stretch feature in the menu. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I could find it easily in my A1U.

John M. McCloskey November 22nd, 2005 12:51 PM

It is in your picture profiles settings

Paul Chun November 22nd, 2005 01:16 PM

Thank you! Does this mean that the Z1 by default is using the PP1? Or do I need to set this myself before it starts using any of these?

John M. McCloskey November 22nd, 2005 01:43 PM

If you look back through the forum you will find a thread called,"your favorite personal settings" George Griswald shows what picture profiles he has set up in his Z1 and also gives an understanding of what each PP setting is used for. I make sure everytime I shoot that I see a PP1 or PP2 or 3,4,5,6. I have found that the factory default or setting in only the menu options is far less superior in quality as to what you can acheive with a picture profile set up correctly. I have used George G's settings for every PP setting and have only had to gain or subtract his settings very little to acheive what I'm looking for. I would set up your PP settings and do a little study and fine tune them to your needs and from there on you will have a camera setup with 6 picture profiles which should cover different situations you run into while videoing. Good luck and let me know if you can't find the George G. thread I'll try to find it and forward to you.

Boyd Ostroff November 22nd, 2005 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Chun
Does this mean that the Z1 by default is using the PP1? Or do I need to set this myself

I don't exactly remember the "out of the box" default, but I'm pretty sure picture profiles are OFF. Press the button and notice that the list is:

OFF
PP1
PP2
PP3
etc...

Select OFF and none of the profiles will be active. Now push the button again and scroll down to the desired profile, such as PP1 and push the menu wheel. You may now either edit it or use as is. Notice that PP1 is now displayed in the viewfinder/LCD indicating that it's active. If you don't see that on the screen then there are no picture profiles currently active.

Paul Chun November 22nd, 2005 03:20 PM

Boyd,

I'm relatively new to shooting with the Z1 and not quite up to speed with the picture profiles. Do you think that shooting some relatively normal HDV would require me to use the PP? When would I see the most benefit in using the PP other than trying to go with a certain look or color in the video?

Boyd Ostroff November 22nd, 2005 03:25 PM

It's really impossible to say what's "best." The profiles are there so that you can tweak the camera to your liking. If you're new to all this then just leave them alone for now. Then later you may realize that in certain situations you want less color saturation, a softer image, etc. and you can try them.

But actually the best way to understand what they do is to hook your camera up to an HDTV using the component cable. Now activate PP1, experiment with all the parameters and observe what happens on the screen. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words :-)

John M. McCloskey November 22nd, 2005 03:49 PM

picture profiles are off out of the box.Just look in you LCD and you should see PP1 or 2 and so on. good luck