DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Another music video in HVR-z1 in MEXICO (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/54961-another-music-video-hvr-z1-mexico.html)

Carlos Yasik November 24th, 2005 11:55 PM

Another music video in HVR-z1 in MEXICO

Hello everyone.. I'd read a lot about shooting in PAL/NTSC, Cineframe 24, 25 all advantages and disadvantages... Well, one Band asked me to shot its video, so i had to decide quickly... I decided to shoot in in PAL CF 25 so that the motion doesn't look too jerky, and I edited in FINAL CUT as a PAL proyect... Now I have made the first version, there's a story that will be in there, but this is what i shot so far.

I warn you, this is a very low budget, we had only one 650 lowel and a office depot 500 watts lamp... I want you to tell me what you think about all technical aspects, not about story or location.

So i will be looking forward for your comments..

the video is in this link:
http://estamosenvideo.com/basse

The band is Basse, song: Hay Amores (There are loves...)

PS. This is my first music video shot with the HVR-Z1

J.Carlos Orozco (Yasik)

Ainslie Davies November 25th, 2005 01:06 AM

Fantastic first video on the Z1! One negative is that it is out of sync with the drummer on the crash and ride cymbals from time to time. The style was great and the fast zooms and changing focus really suited. In the "hanger" how much of the colouring was done in post as opposed to with gels etc? You defiantly pulled it off with only two lights (one of which a work light:-). One of the better music videos on the FX1/Z1. Good work on minimising the DOF.

P.S. Who knew that CF25 could work so well?

Carlos Yasik November 25th, 2005 02:47 AM

Thank u!

I can't believe that the first person to post a reply is telling me that i did a good job.. Well, i know i had lots of errors, but the sync you mention was hard too check because i was monitoring the editing in just the PC (MAC) window... because i did it in PAL so i lost some sync... im trying to fix that, and later ad some story to it... or do you think it is enough with that?

The songs says that:
There are loves that last forever but you and I are forever...
If you find me crying its because of you...

and all that Rock Pop Stuff...

Yeah, it was just two lights, but i did not use Gels, i did it in post in deed.. I used Color corrector (3 way) in Final Cut Pro

And when i was in the location, i just changed from 60i to 50i at CF 25 just because i want it to try it... i was nervous about the result, then when i first watched in a NSTC monitor i couldn't believe it actually looked so Filmic.

Thanks again!!

Mark Utley November 25th, 2005 04:26 AM

Great job! My only suggestion was the sync with the drummer but you mentioned that was because of it being shot in PAL, so it's understandable.

Tomas Chinchilla November 25th, 2005 09:05 AM

Nada mal Carlos, excelente.

Carlos Yasik November 25th, 2005 09:25 PM

Film Looks

Muchas Gracias!!

Does anyone knows why audio when monitoring in the computer sounds like out of sync when viewed through firewire?? Is that a technical issue because of the firewire transfer speed or something??

Another question... I know there is Magic Bullet for film looks, does anyone have tried do do that in after without using that plug in, only built in plug ins?? For example: using levels, curves, gamma pedastal, etc... I ask this because my pc is quite slow so i want to find film looks but out of magic bullet using after effects...

Thank u!

Tomas Chinchilla November 25th, 2005 09:53 PM

You use MAC right?

If so, there are filters out there for Final Cut that would be quicker to work with.

I also have AE with MB and if you work on HD material just go for a weekend vacation while rendering, no kidding, it takes a long time to render.

But if you work on SD material then things change a little bit, still slow but not as bad.

The effects out of MB (Presets) are incredible though!

A.J. Briones November 26th, 2005 04:36 PM

good stuff! how did you do the underwater shots?

Daniel Nunez November 27th, 2005 11:39 AM

It looks great man! I love it! Great job. **Side Note** I saw the camera shadow on the lead singer's arm.

Steven Gotz November 27th, 2005 12:20 PM

Great job. I can see where a few more lights would have helped. There are times when the shadows are distracting. And I am not a fan of out of focus (blurred) shots. It is a good tool for transitions I suppose, but my personal preference is to avoid them.

Some of the cutaway shots are a bit short for my taste. I know it is the MTV influence, but shots less than a couple of seconds should be used carefully.

All in all, a very professional effort.

Carlos Yasik November 27th, 2005 11:17 PM

Oh, i forgot to explain that the underwater shots were taken with a Sony Mini DV camera, off course the resolution changed a lot when viewed in a monitor, but i think it does good and i used some filters so that the low resolution could be intentional.

By the way, i think this video had a lot of mtv influence because the band wanted to see their song as if it would be appearing on mtv or htv..lol.. so i had to be playing a lot with cuts, out of focus, and all that mtv-like videos.

On the other hand, it is my arm... i liked the shot, but no the shadow of my arm.. and as we were really tired while shoting, i didn't realize that.. first i wanted to eliminate that scene, but as this is the "first cut" im sure lots of scenes will go away and include other ones that hadn't been edited.

PS. Sorry for my english...lol