Confetti disaster... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 30th, 2005, 03:08 AM   #1
Trustee

Confetti disaster...

This makes the Z1 zero for two in shooting concerts for me. The first time I shot a concert with a Z1 it was the handheld camera in a predominately varicam shoot. It had quite a bit of trouble with the Vari-light when they would surge, flash etc. They still saved some shots so it wasnt a total disaster.

Since that time I have shot some interviews and outdoor stuff that looked GREAT, even fast moving NASCARS, etc. So I figured it was a fluke at the concert.

Last week, I was hired to shoot just the last song and encore of a concert and they were having a big celebration, party, etc. Lots of musicians on stage, lighting wasnt crazy but when the confetti dropped... YIKES. The Z1 just could not handle it. At this point I dont know whether to blame the camera or the format but the 24P stuff I have shot with the JVC does not seem to flame out as easy... of course, there are a host of other issues.

Am I the only one who ever has this happen? When I bring it up most the Z1 people say they have never heard of such a thing.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:57 AM   #2
New Boot

Sounds linke a combination of lighting, shutter and compression. Can we see a frame?
Armin Obersteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Here's a 5 camera Z1 shoot I did early in the year 24MB.
1 Wide FOH, 2 CU FOH, 2 HH OS.

http://joelongthorneassociates.com/P...dise_Promo.mov

Apart from the Z1 lens on the closeup FOH cameras not being strong enough for the size of the room, it worked quite well.

I'm on the stage left handheld, my Z1 had a Sony Highgrade WA and was on a DVRigPro.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #4
Trustee

Dust and smoke are the bane of MPEG-2; it looks like noise to the encoder, and can obscure any objects it occludes, throwing off the motion tracker.

Last edited by Emre Safak; November 30th, 2005 at 09:33 PM.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Trustee

I will get a frame sent to me... smoke, variable lighting and tons of little colored particles was prolly a worst case scenario for HDV!

ash =o)
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:13 PM   #6
Trustee

Duncan, I am dealing with rock shows, LOTS of movement everywhere and tons of moving/changing/flashing lights. HDV just isnt ready for this type of work...

ash =o)
Old December 1st, 2005, 09:35 PM   #7
Trustee

HDTV is not ready for that type of work either, no matter the HD format. The recorded format whatever is going to get compressed for distribution to the mainstream. There was a Motley Crue HDTV broadcast on HDNet, I forget the exact name but it was something like "Lewd Crued and Tatoo'd" I think. It was chock with motion, panning, strobing lights and smoke. It wasn't HDV and it wasn't pretty. Well. the girls were...
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1