DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Z1U Mic Mount buyable? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/55285-z1u-mic-mount-buyable.html)

Ben Bixby November 30th, 2005 03:38 PM

Z1U Mic Mount buyable?

Is there a place that sells the Z1U mic mount? I assume its like the FX1 where theres 2 screws that hold that little side thingie in next to the LCD.

I want to buy a shotgun mic and beachtek adapater for my FX1 and mount it off to the side like the Z1U.

Can ya help me out?

Thanks!

Boyd Ostroff November 30th, 2005 04:25 PM

You will find the part(s) you want in this exploded view:

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/View2.aspx?ArrayVal=48

(edit) Nevermind, it looks like that URL isn't working now. Ugh. Use the url below and follow the links to the main Z1 page. Under "category" pull down "exploded views". Under "module" select "Handle Section 1" and click the search button. Now click on the little document icon next to item 206 "Holder, Speaker." WHY does Sony make this so hard???

Parts are available at sony's serviceplus website. Go to the following URL and enter hvrz1u in the Model Number field under "Search PartsPLUS." Unfortunately the site doesn't let you link to that page. Use the part numbers in the diagram (and also view other exploded views - fascinating!) to get the numbers and order.

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-parts.aspx

Unfortunately, when you find out what they cost you may decide that a third party option is more attractive ;-) Personally, I really dislike the way the mike holder is implemented on the Z1 and I have removed it from mine (but no, I don't want to sell it). It seems like it would be very easy to break the LCD screen by accidentally hitting the mike or the holder. But maybe I'm just paranoid?...

Ben Bixby November 30th, 2005 04:41 PM

Wow. Thanks!

Yeah hmm 62 bucks is kinda a lot, but i do like the way its mounted. I will prolly just go to home depot and jerry rig something up.

Anywho, thanks for showing me that! I appreciate it!

Jeff McClanahan April 26th, 2006 03:02 PM

To install the HVR-Z1U microphone mount on the HDR-FX1, a spacer is needed. Sony's broadcast parts website and the service manual show the spacer as "not supplied". Possibly in an effort to differentiate the consumer and professional cameras.

For reference, I have custom manufactured spacers that allow for the installation of the Z1U mic mount on the FX1. I have combined the spacers with Sony Z1U parts for a turnkey install kit. More information is available on Ebay by searching for "HDR-FX1 microphone mount".

John Rofrano April 26th, 2006 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Bixby
I want to buy a shotgun mic and beachtek adapater for my FX1 and mount it off to the side like the Z1U.

Before you do, you should check the diameter of the shotgun you are going to buy. I have a Z1 and the Audio-Technica AT897 shotgun is too slim for that mount so I don’t use it. I have my mic mounted to the top shoe in a shock mount. The Z1 mic mount only fits mics that are 21 mm in diameter which is pretty thick. So depending on the mic you buy the Z1 mic mount may be a useless accessory.

~jr

Mark Utley April 27th, 2006 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Rofrano
I have a Z1 and the Audio-Technica AT897 shotgun is too slim for that mount so I don’t use it.

Same thing with my Sennheiser ME66, so I built a little spacer. I took a toilet paper roll tube and cut it the long way, wrapped it around my shotgun as tightly as possible, taped it snug and added a couple extra wraps around the whole thing (on the tube only, not the mic). Works like a charm!

Jeff McClanahan April 27th, 2006 06:15 AM

Quote:

Before you do, you should check the diameter of the shotgun you are going to buy. I have a Z1 and the Audio-Technica AT897 shotgun is too slim for that mount so I don’t use it. The Z1 mic mount only fits mics that are 21 mm in diameter which is pretty thick. So depending on the mic you buy the Z1 mic mount may be a useless accessory.

~jr

Correction - The Z1's mic mount is designed for the ECM-672 microphone which is 25mm in diameter and tapered. Sony's broadcast group sells a rubber spacer that fits the Z1's mic mount perfectly and allows the use of smaller diameter microphones, such as the 22mm Sennheiser ME66, which I use. Sony part number is 3-179-882-01 with cost of $11.04.

For reference, I have included this part in the turnkey Z1 mic mount kit for the FX1 on Ebay. You can see a picture of the rubber spacer installed on my auction (search for "HDR-FX1 microphone mount" if interested).

John Rofrano April 28th, 2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff McClanahan
Correction - The Z1's mic mount is designed for the ECM-672 microphone which is 25mm in diameter and tapered.

Hmmm... it seems that you are right. I was taking my information from the Sony Z1 User’s Guide which on page 38 says, “Only a microphone of 21 mm diameter can be attached”. Obviously the Sony manual is wrong because I just looked up the specs on my AT897 and it’s 21 mm and does not fit. So I guess it really is 25 mm. I stand corrected.

Quote:

Sony's broadcast group sells a rubber spacer that fits the Z1's mic mount perfectly and allows the use of smaller diameter microphones, such as the 22mm Sennheiser ME66, which I use. Sony part number is 3-179-882-01 with cost of $11.04.

I used a bicycle tire ($3.99) which looks a lot like the rubber filler that Sony is selling for $11. It works great to hold the mic but there was too much handling noise so I opted for a shock mount on top instead.

~jr

Steven Davis April 28th, 2006 08:54 AM

Quote:

Before you do, you should check the diameter of the shotgun you are going to buy. I have a Z1 and the Audio-Technica AT897 shotgun is too slim for that mount so I don’t use it.
~jr

Well, thanks for the info, hehe, I plan to by a Z1 next month and I have the exact microphone, I currently use this shock mount on my Gl2 http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/m...ct_Code=MZSCAM and have this 'Y' bracket that sits on the hotshoe. So I'll probably just stick with this mic mount. Thank again for the heads up on the diameter. You can see my rig here http://droptodesign.com/test/camera_setup/

Alejandro Diaz July 18th, 2006 01:27 PM

HVR-Z1U mic microphone

Quote:

Correction - The Z1's mic mount is designed for the ECM-672 microphone which is 25mm in diameter and tapered. Sony's broadcast group sells a rubber spacer that fits the Z1's mic mount perfectly and allows the use of smaller diameter microphones, such as the 22mm Sennheiser ME66, which I use. Sony part number is 3-179-882-01 with cost of $11.04.

For reference, I have included this part in the turnkey Z1 mic mount kit for the FX1 on Ebay. You can see a picture of the rubber spacer installed on my auction (search for "HDR-FX1 microphone mount" if interested).

Hello jeff,
Maybe you can help me out. I’ve looked for the HVR-Z1U mic microphone mount for Sony HDR-FX1 camera everywhere.
Do you have it in stock?
Can you sell it to me?
Please include shipping amount to Atlanta,GA.

Thank you for your time

mercado@sipaga.com

Joe Lawry July 19th, 2006 05:32 AM

A few people i know who are running Z1s here with ME66's just wrapped gaffer around the capsule until it was thick enough to fit in the mount...

.. they dont seem to care about vibration issues although theres still a bit of damping there.. not much though.

Steven Davis July 19th, 2006 07:46 AM

Well for now I've used the casing foam strips from my camera case to wrap around the mic. It works for now. It also controls some of the vibration. I have an AT835. The overal mic mount is one of the most rediculous issues I have with my Z1. Just my 2cents..

Jeff Rhode August 1st, 2006 12:20 PM

Please take a look at the mic mount that addresses this problem. It allows a rubber band shock mount to be used without the loss of the flip screen, while leaving the top mount available for a receiver or light. SInce your rubber band shock mount is used all handling noise is eliminated.
WWW.THEJ-ROD.COM

Steven Davis August 1st, 2006 01:04 PM

Nice looking thingy.

Jeff Rhode August 1st, 2006 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Nice looking thingy.

Thanks !
And it works well too......LOL