Recording broadcast HD onto FX1 in HDV mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 7th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Tourist

Recording broadcast HD onto FX1 in HDV mode?

Hello all, this is my first post here.
The FX1 manual says that recording TV onto the camera is only possible in DV mode. It does not mention anything about HD. Are they simply saying that your camera cannot be in HDV mode to capture SD material? I'd like to know if it's possible to record 1080i/720p stuff through an HDTV's S-video out (or the firewire out on an HD box) with the camera in HDV. I don't see why it couldn't be done on unencrypted over-the-air HD broadcasts. Have any of you FX-1/Z1U owners tried to do this?
Thanks for any help
Johnny Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Wrangler

You can't record HD via the component or s-video ports. You can record in HD via Firewire (as you would when sending edited video from your computer back to the camera). I don't know how compatible this would be with home theatre equipment with firewire interfaces. As you mention, there may be some filter which blocks commercial content from being recorded.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #3
Tourist

Oh that's right, I forgot S-Vid is also analog. By law the free OTA programming cannot be encrypted and that's all I'm interested in recording. Thanks for the input. It looks like I'm screwed, I'd have to find an HDTV with a built-in IEEE 1394 output to record the OTA signal. That ain't happening.

Last edited by Johnny Griffin; December 8th, 2005 at 03:15 AM.
Old December 7th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Get ATI All In Wonder HD

You can get an ATI All In Wonder HD Card for your computer to capture off the air programing. I've had it for a year, and the latest versions of drivers make it pretty clean. I haven't tried using the recordings in an editor yet, but at least you can record...

Chris
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #5
Tourist

Yeah looks like that's my last option. Does the card have any basic HD editing software or will I have to upgrade to Premiere Pro 1.5? What if I connect an HD box to the TV's composite output and record thru the box's firewire out? Are the composite outs a dealbreaker? Will it automatically downconvert it to SD?
Old December 8th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #6
Major Player

In my opinion, the ATI All-in-Wonder HD cards are less than great (and I'm being kind.) I have evaluated all the HDTV PC cards and the MyHD MDP-130 is far and away the best.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...deo/mdp130.asp

John
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #7
Inner Circle

We'd all wish for a "magic box" that could convert raw ATSC data from 1 end via IEEE 1394 and comes out as HDV 1080i the other end via IEEE 1394. This would be great for HVR-M10 users who would like to use their M10 as a HD Tivo alternative.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1