were to fit light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 14th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #1
Major Player

were to fit light

Hi everbody and a happy xmas to you all,

Iam doing a wedding this Saturday and need to fit a light to my FX1 as its late in the afternoon and when they leave church it will be dark, The camera will have a bechtek, shotgun mike and radio mic reicever velcrod to the camera handle, were can i mount the light as the camera shoe has the mic on it,

thanxs
Ian
Old December 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #2
Major Player

I can't find a pic right away, but there are adapters that will give you more than one shoe mount on your camera.

Some will attach to the current shoe, others (like the one I have) will screw into the bottom of the camera and have a bracket that sticks out, giving you more.

You can generally find these at regular camera shops as still cameras use them.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Brian

I wil have a look round tomorrow
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Thomas
Thanks Brian

I wil have a look round tomorrow
Ian I would recommend you look int something like the MiniRover from Mighty wondercam.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

You would attach your Beachtek to your camera then Minirover then Quick release plate.

There is a place on top of the handle to mount either a mic or a camera light.

I mount my mic on teh handle grip and have my PAGC6 light on the camera hot shoe of my camera.

I have tried the Cool lux adapter that mounts on the hot shoe and gives you 2 mounts for accessories, and I wouldn't recommend it. As it puts too much weight on the camera hot shoe and send vibration noise you you mic, as it's not rigid enough and vibrates.

A handle bracket that mounts to the cameras bottom is much more stable and gives you excellent hand held capability, as the handle gives you a more balanced camera to hold.
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Michael

Thanks for that, i picked up some thing similar from my local camera shop today and its going to work fine, just makes the rigg pretty heavy, one thing the video light is a jessops own and they don't have any diffusers for it and its very bright, is there a do it yourself way to get the light softened.

Thanks
Ian
Old December 15th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
Ian I would recommend you look int something like the MiniRover from Mighty wondercam.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

There is a place on top of the handle to mount either a mic or a camera light.
I have the minrover as well and wish I'd gotten something else because:

(1.) The shoe on the handle seems to be an odd size. I have to really nudge my accessories to make them fit and they still don't slide on all the way. (Sony light and RODE videomic - both are very tight fitting).

(2.) It's a pain to add/remove the bracket to/from your cam. The mounting screw is very short. Carry a decent sized screw-driver and apply lots of torque to tighten it up as it will loosen up as the day goes on. Same goes for the screw that holds the cushioned handle - it'll work loose as well.

I wish I would've gotten a "realeasable" L-bracket... the kind where the handle bracket just pops off.

(3.) If you want it to fit in your case/bag you'll need to be removing it after each shoot and I sense that over time this can't possibly be good on the screw threads.

My solution now is to just leave it attached to my camera. I've got a bag large enough to store the cam along with the bracket.

They also sell an additional bracket for $20 that mounts on the handle to hold your wireless receiver. Great idea but you lose the extra shoe in the process (I think) which is kind of dumb if that's the case. I passed on this purchase.

On the plus side of things... it does add some stability to my shots on and off a tripod. It's entirely made of thick metal except for the cushioned hand grip which feels really good.

For $50 it's ok and I can live with it but I'll be looking for an alternative real soon.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:10 PM   #7
Major Player

I got a bracket made by NRG, that has 3 shoe platforms machined in it. its great for use with muliple mic's, and cost $30. It attaches to the camera's hot shoe. I got mine from EVS.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

[post removed after I realized the folly in what I'd said]
Joe Lumbroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi

Well after all that when they came out of church it was still light, no need for any extra light1!

This is the first wedding ive done with the FX1 and the bride and groom seemed to want everything as dark as poss, the church was very dark and i was filming with 18db gain + sometimes 25 shutter, and same in the reiception

Just checking the images and there not to bad and i think i can better things in post, but i hope i don't get many like this again, and i think that the 170 would have coped better with this one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1