DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Yikes -- wavy edges when captured (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/56693-yikes-wavy-edges-when-captured.html)

Dave Ozra December 23rd, 2005 02:48 AM

Yikes -- wavy edges when captured

Hmm. I'm not sure how to describe this problem, other than to use the word "wavy".

We shot on a green screen chromakey background last week, using an HVR Z1P. 1080i50. Footage looked great in camera.

But I've just finished digitizing footage, and I'm not sure what's happened. Every time an actor moves in front of the chroma screen, their edges go all "wavy". It looks like some sort of compression or delayed pixel drawing thing (that's just a guess, I have no idea), where the frames or fields aren't keeping up with (or being interpreted correctly by) the computer. The effect is terrible.

Could it be something wrong in the capture? Or a setting set incorrectly somewhere?

I'm using Final Cut Pro 5.0.3 on a Power Mac G5 dual 2.3 Ghz with 4.5GB RAM and 2 x 400 GB hard drives. Settings appear correct.

What could I be doing wrong? Please help! Thanks!

OZ

Steve Crisdale December 23rd, 2005 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Ozra
Hmm. I'm not sure how to describe this problem, other than to use the word "wavy".

We shot on a green screen chromakey background last week, using an HVR Z1P. 1080i50. Footage looked great in camera.

But I've just finished digitizing footage, and I'm not sure what's happened. Every time an actor moves in front of the chroma screen, their edges go all "wavy". It looks like some sort of compression or delayed pixel drawing thing (that's just a guess, I have no idea), where the frames or fields aren't keeping up with (or being interpreted correctly by) the computer. The effect is terrible.

Could it be something wrong in the capture? Or a setting set incorrectly somewhere?

I'm using Final Cut Pro 5.0.3 on a Power Mac G5 dual 2.3 Ghz with 4.5GB RAM and 2 x 400 GB hard drives. Settings appear correct.

What could I be doing wrong? Please help! Thanks!

OZ

I'm not on Mac, but have you tried to see whether the problem is linked to viewing interlaced footage on a progressive display.

There have been a few of the "wavy" or "chopped" edge posts that have been interlacing on progressive display issues... just a thought.

Boyd Ostroff December 23rd, 2005 07:49 AM

Yes, you need to tell us how you're viewing your footage. Are you using FCP's digital cinema desktop? If so then that's only an approximation of the full quality image. Try exporting a clip back to the camera then hook the Z1 up to a good quality HD monitor using the component cable. That will show you what the footage really looks like.

Shannon Rawls December 23rd, 2005 11:45 AM

Yes, like Boyd said...output back to a TV or HD monitor. Those 'wavs' you are seeing will dissapear.

- ShannonRawls.com