DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   New DXA-FX (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/57486-new-dxa-fx.html)

Ben Bixby January 4th, 2006 09:39 PM

New DXA-FX

Has anyone seen the NEW XLR adapter, or at least i think it is an XLR adapter, for the FX1 from Beachtek?!

Is this any different from the DXA-4 and will the DXA-FX be better for my FX1? The price tag is too much for me right now, as i was about to buy up an AT897 mic and DXA-4 XLR adapter instead of the DXA-FX...

Can someone give me some insight on this? I'm sure the DXA-4 will do just fine for me...

Thanks,
Ben

Ben De Rydt January 5th, 2006 08:00 AM

This adapter doesn't make much sense to me. It's a powered adapter with limiters sending out a mic level signal. Phantom power is not provided. I don't understand why Beachtek doesn't use the FX1's possibility to record a line level signal. Line level signals operate in the 300 mV range as opposed to mic level signals in the 3 mV range. Or to put it otherwise, line level signals are 100 times stronger and thus 100 times better when presented with the same amount of electrical interference. (This may be too simplified, feel free to correct me.)

If I were to buy a Beachtek adapter for an FX1, I'd buy the DXA-10. It doesn't have limiters nor a tripod mount but it does have phantom power and a line level output. This means you may separate the unit quite some length from the camera before you will have trouble, and this means that you can have a separate sound guy that can get much closer to the source of the sound. And that's were it counts: a not-so-good mic at 40 cm from the sound source, with a not-so-good mixer connected to the camera at line level with unbalanced cables will be better than all XLR solution with a camera mounted mic 4 meters away from the source.

I've been sending audio from a Shure FP-33 mixer to my FX1 over unbalanced lines over distances ranging from 3.5 m to 7 m. Line level of course. I haven't gotten any interference yet. I do monitor the camera output with good headphones. In another instance I've run a 20m unbalanced cable over an operating lighting rack without interference.

My point is that if you're going to use a camera mounted mic, buy a Rode Videomic and be done with it. If you have a boom operator, then he'd better have control over the levels too. A beachtek makes sense if you're camera doesn't have line level input, if you frequently need to work with professional sound recordists (they frown on unbalanced lines) or if you have all other sound equipment (mic, boom, field mixer) and you still have money to burn. Otherwise invest in the mic, boom and field mixer first.

Ben Bixby January 5th, 2006 11:07 AM

Thank YOU!!

Wow. You nailed it on the dot. I had looked at the Rode mic before, but had always heard that the AT897 and xlr adapter were good. Cleared it up for me, thanks, will be getting the rode mic then (will be using it camera mounted for on-the-go interviews and such)!

Thanks,
Ben

Thomas Richter January 5th, 2006 10:33 PM

Just my opinion: If you are thinking of the Rode VideoMic, beware that it looks better then it sounds.

Amazing construction (for the money), average sound (too much low emphasis on the low frequencies). But again, this is only my opinion based on a review and comments from a friend who actually tried using it (I don't own one).

I would go for the Sennheiser MKE 300 mic instead, but I don't know whether that one will handle the "plug in power" voltage coming out of your camcorder.

Just trying to help, I have no interest badmouthing Rode (although I have to admit I became a Sennheiser fanatic over the years).

Ben Bixby January 6th, 2006 05:43 PM

Schriber Acoustic Sa-568?

What about this mic?
http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/m...uct_Code=SA568

Do you know anything about this one? I will only need to be able to cancel out left and right audio and only point it straight at a sound source 2-10 feet away (outdoor interview on-the-go stuff)...would this mic be applicable?

Thanks

Glenn Davidson January 6th, 2006 08:01 PM

I've been sending audio from a Shure FP-33 mixer to my FX1 over unbalanced lines over distances ranging from 3.5 m to 7 m. Line level of course. I haven't gotten any interference yet. I do monitor the camera output with good headphones. In another instance I've run a 20m unbalanced cable over an operating lighting rack without interference.

Glenn Davidson January 6th, 2006 08:09 PM

I guess i need to figure out the quote function. Anyway, I am glad to read that you are going directly from a Shure Mixer at line level into the FX1. This is how I plan on getting audio into my camera also. Is there any special wiring instructions considering the fx1 says "plug-in power" on the mic/line in.

Ben De Rydt January 7th, 2006 08:11 AM

I used a straight 3.5mm minijack male to male cable. Use the tape out socket on the shure mixer. You could make a dual xlr to minijack cable, but this won't make a difference soundwise. You'd only have a more reliable connection on the mixer's side.

Ben De Rydt January 7th, 2006 08:34 AM

I have a Rode Videomic for those occasions where I can't have a boom operator. Is it worse than a Sennheiser MKH-60 shotgun? Yes. Is it better than the FX1's internal mic? Yes, by far. Does it have an integrated shockmount? Yes, but you still need to be carefull. Does it have a bass roll off filter? Yes. Is it better than the Sennheiser 300D? I wouldn't know, but I do know that I would need to buy a shockmount on top of the 300D. Since both mics won't cut it for professional sound, I would prefer the cheapest one and save my money for a boom, mic and mixer.

Anyway, I'm no audio expert, I only started learning about audio the past four months. But the one thing I learned pretty quickly is that distance to sound source is much more important than equipment.

BTW, Ben Bixby, why don't you use a visible mic for interviews?

Glenn Davidson January 7th, 2006 02:14 PM

Hi Ben D R,

So you are using a 3.5 stereo mini into the FX1? Does the 3-5 volts DC cause any problems or is it on a separate pin. I think I saw a cable at Markertek that was used to isolate the DC, but it was 50 bucks. I do not see any detailed pin-out info in the Sony manual. I really like the idea of using a shure mixer for input.

Ben Bixby January 7th, 2006 03:16 PM

Schriber Acoustic Sa-568....

I just ordered this MIC, the SCHRIBER ACOUSTIC SA-568 for my FX1, will be pluggin it in via the 3.5 cable, since i do not have an xlr adapter unit. It will be here on wednesday, and i will be gone on thursday to go to GA for 3 weeks, including 1 week of filming. I will have to let you guys know how it works, because i am just learning audio, and i want something better than the stock mic on the FX1, i hope this mic can provide the sound i need. (it will be mounted on the fx1).

Ben